Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spot where I am thinking of moving a hive onto a place where a lot of wildflowers are in bloom. How much does this stress the bees? And how long does it take the bees to get reoriented to their new location with new floral sources, at least in a different location? Like does the new location set them back at all? I am thinking of only moving them for a week or two. So then back to their original spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are different ways to move honey bee hives according to the distance of moving. If you move in a shorter distance like 2 miles or less than 2 miles, then there is more possibility that honey bees return to their old place. If you move over 2 miles, then bee adjusts easily without any extra efforts. But, if the bee hives moved a long distance, then it is very confusing to honey bees to find its new location. Hence, in that case as a beekeeper you have to help your honey bees to survive in new place easily. Follow the points below:
• Move during winter or rainy season, because this is a time when honey bees fly less.
• Place a known object in front of entrance.

Note: Bees are more crawly and defensive at night, so suit up and take extra care, if you are moving the bee hives at night.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The rule of thumb is move a hive less tha 3 feet or more than 3 miles, anything in between and they may become confused and go back to the original hive location. If you're only moving for a week I would say it's not worth it. It probably takes them a morning to do their orientation flights and then start the search for food, but it doesn't sound like your moving them far enough from there current home. Best of luck

·
Registered
673 Posts
If the hot spot where there are lots of wildflowers is only a mile away, I wouldn't move them. Bees will easily forage out three to five miles. At only a mile away, they are likely already going there, and a mile is not a bad flight for them, in comparrison to the annoyance of having to move a hive and risk damaging your queen in the process.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Shouldn't your foragers get there in about 4 minuets flight time from where they're at? (flying @ 15mph)

I moved to a new for me house this winter and was curious about what was around. Before I drove around, I put a one mile circle and a two mile circle on google maps with the new place at center. One heck of an eye opener!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yes, at a mile away they already have easy access to the area. You can't make bees utilize any certain source by putting them closer. You could move them close to the wildflowers but if they prefer something else at the time, they could easily ignore them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You can move them every day, if you go 2 feet, and no more. They really don't stress. If you go for instance, 6 feet in a day, many foragers land on the old spot. But most get home. However, they are a bit grouchy.
If you move 2 miles, thats a full "reset", they just re-orient.

It takes them 2 or 3 days, to get over it. No matter how far.

If you move, for instance 75 feet, place a little pile of brush trimmings in front of the entry. Big enough, so they don't have a direct flight in or out. This makes them pay attention, when leaving, so they notice, and "reset".
For 2 miles or so, no branches are needed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I need to move a hive 55 feet. So, if I put a potted plant by the entrance of the hive for a week, I can start moving the plant and the hive 2 feet per day until I get it where I want it. Right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I need to move a hive 55 feet. So, if I put a potted plant by the entrance of the hive for a week, I can start moving the plant and the hive 2 feet per day until I get it where I want it. Right?
I would button it up after dusk, move it where you want it at dawn and put the plant or branch or whatever in front of the entrance. This way you get all the foragers back before you move it.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
You can move it a couple feet a day without the plant. I have done that to move a hive 75 ft last year, 2-3 ft a day, with no issues at all. I have also moved a hive like that all at once and put branches directly in the opening and in front of it to make the bees climb through the brush, and most will orient to the new location, but you may get a handful of foragers back to the old area. At 55 ft away, some of them would cruise around and find the new location.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Just pick the hive up, move it to where you want it, leave an obstruction in front of the entrance for a couple of days to get them to orient to their new location, and call it good. Don't stress yourself and the bees moving it two feet a day for the next few weeks. Who has time to do that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts