Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start using the hot wax dip method of treating my wooden ware. If I have a 24x24x16 deep container and I want to bring the wax up to 12", how much will it take. I assume wax weighs x amount per cubic foot but I can't seem to find the info.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just found it but surely it can't correct? I says 240lbs, :eek:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Danno has to be close. Water is 62 pounds per cubic foot, and wax is a bit less dense than that.

Search for wax dipping or rosin in the forums. there was a post about 2 years ago about this and it seems to me that a mizxture of wax and rosin was used to dip in.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I want to start using the hot wax dip method of treating my wooden ware. If I have a 24x24x16 deep container and I want to bring the wax up to 12", how much will it take. I assume wax weighs x amount per cubic foot but I can't seem to find the info.

Thanks
Greg
Any way to MacGuyver an 'center' insert making a doughnut channel for the liquid wax? That would dramatically reduce the volume...

Tony P.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any way to MacGuyver an 'center' insert making a doughnut channel for the liquid wax? That would dramatically reduce the volume...

Tony P.
That would be good to do hive bodies, but you couldn't do inner covers etc.

Greg

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of rosin is used?

Greg

·
Registered
152 Posts
typically gum rosin is used. Pretty sure some of the US bee suppliers also sell the rosin... at a markup.

I figured I wouldn't start dipping equipment myself until I had a market for people who wanted to dip new equipment, to help pay for the cost of all that wax!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts