Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much usable wax do you get from uncapping honey frames? I'm starting up a couple hives in the spring, and my wife is interested in using the wax for various endeavors... but we haven't been able to find a solid source stating how much wax you get from uncapping (which is probably where most of our wax would come from, since I'm sure I won't have spare comb for a long time).

Thanks!
-Nate

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
One pound per sixty pounds of honey. That's what I have heard.

And when I used to get my honey extracted, this one place figured it that way. If I wanted the wax, I paid him per lb for rendering it into slabs and we figured that that is how much I should get for every bucket of honey that was extracted. Otherwise he kept the wax and I paid for the extracting only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's not much, but I guess that's to be expected from the small amount you're actually taking off. Luckily, I have a friend with an extractor, so that part won't cost me anything, at least.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I don't know how much honey is contained in a pound of wax, in other words comb, but it is quite alot compared to the relativly small amount of wax. The same is true of plastic bags.

I'm sure someone has that number. Probably Michael Bush.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It depends on how deep the bees have built the comb. New comb with 10 frames per box end up with very little wax harvested. After they are drawn you can use 8 or 9 per super and you'll tend to get more wax.

In my experience it tends to be 2-3% wax. (ie. 2-3 pounds per 100lbs of honey.) Small enough that I haven't bothered filtering and molding it into blocks for sale every year.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Well first off it will depend on the number of supers you get per year. I average 20 supers / yr. Been doin it for 9 yrs and have less than 30 lbs of cappings total.

So, lets see.... That is 30 lbs for 180 supers (9x20) OR .166 lbs per super per year. Note that is clean wax only. All honey is removed.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I've heard that if you run 10 frames in a 10 frame box, you will get 1 pound of wax per every 100 pounds of honey produced. If you run 8 frames in your 10 frame box, you can get 2 pounds of wax per 100 pounds of honey.

It also depends on how capped your frames are. If all your frames are fully capped, you will get more wax than if your frames are only partially capped.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Well first off it will depend on the number of supers you get per year. I average 20 supers / yr. Been doin it for 9 yrs and have less than 30 lbs of cappings total.

So, lets see.... That is 30 lbs for 180 supers (9x20) OR .166 lbs per super per year. Note that is clean wax only. All honey is removed.
fuzzy, your math sure is fuzzy. What does the amount of wax per super have to do w/ how much wax you will get from uncapping frames of honey? You are comparing apples to orangatans. What size supers are you running? Comb honey supers w/ frames in them? How much honey are you getting per super? The actual number, please. Not the formula for figuring it.

I know that 9x20=180. Why did you put that in there? 9 what times 20 what? Is that 20 stacks of 9 supers each? Or what?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Mark,

The original question was "How much usable wax do you get from uncapping honey frames?"

I provided a precise answer to that question. If you don't like the answer or the format then too bad. It is accurate. I get aproximately .166 lbs of wax cappings per super per year. I run a mix of 9 frame mediums and 10 frame mediums so the answer is an average for both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think "not much" is a pretty valid answer... and seems to be what most people here say :)

Maxant - awesome! I didn't realize you guys were so close :) I may come around this time next year :)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Nate,

I just finished cleaning and drying cappings from 5 medium supers so I took the opportunity to weigh them. Bear in mind that I use a scratcher not a knife or some other tool so I do minimal removal of wax. And the answer is......

5 mediums = 15.5 oz of clean dry wax (439 gms ) so 1 super will be about 3.1 oz per filling.
OR .19375 lbs.

Again Not much -- Fuzzy

·
Registered
645 Posts
I also use my scratcher instead of my $130.00 electric knife as I find it to be faster and less messy. Also found you get less wax than when you shave the wax off with the knives cause with the knife you are not taking only the capping but some of the depth of the cells as well. I dont know how much per supper or what not but after I washed the honey off and let dry I could not believe how little wax I have. I was thinking I was gunna be making some candles for Christmas presents but unless Im giving out birthday cake candles that aint gunna happen. And knowing this now, I dont get all the commotion about how much honey it takes to make a pound of wax. I dont think its even worth worrying about. And I also wonder how they get enough wax to make all the foundation in demand, it aint coming from me!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I figure 2% wax to honey.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts