Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 10 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
Hello Steve,
Another Steve here with TBH's. IMHO I'd feed them as long as they'll take it the first season so they have plenty of stores for the winter. The TBH's don't seem to run into the backfilling problems my Langs do resulting in swarming. Maybe it has to do with the constant need to produce wax, not sure. My climate is different than yours, but if I leave them three full bars of honey (more is better), they survive our winters fine in central NY in a Tanzanian TBH with front entrances (one bar in front, two in back.) Sounds like yours are coming along nicely.
Enjoy, Steve

· Registered
359 Posts
At least one full top bar/comb of honey at the entrance and two top bars/combs of honey at the rear, with top bars/combs of brood in the center. Since I have front entrances on my TBH's, I use that as my reference point for directions. Hope that helps.

· Registered
359 Posts
I have fun with my TBH's. Having both TBH's and Langs is a nice way to see the pros and cons of each so you can speak practically about both.

As far as the brood goes, all I'm sure of is there are brood when I tuck them in and if they survive the winter, there's brood when I open them up in the spring. Since I've never opened a hive in the winter, I can't speak from experience about the presence or absence of brood during this time, BUT my understanding in our climate is the queen's laying activity decrease steadily as temperatures drop and day length shortens. She may stop all together, but she usually begins increasing her laying activity after the winter solstice and when temperatures rise and day length increases.

1 - 4 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.