Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much to extract honey?

Sorry know this has been asked/answered before but was not able to find on search feature. Another beekeeper wants me to extract his honey for him. What should I ask for in return/payment? Do not like him enough to settle for just a thank you. Likely he will have 4 eight frame supers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Thats really not that much. You keep the cappings and 20 percent of honey or 20 percent of gross price of honey. Name what you want. Name it high if you don't want to deal with him.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats really not that much. You keep the cappings and 20 percent of honey or 20 percent of gross price of honey. Name what you want. Name it high if you don't want to deal with him.

You have a handle on it. He is a friend of my Dad, though he does not mind taking advantage of him. Does a lot of wood work and was to be making hive bodies, tops, bottoms, etc in exchange for bees and help. Made two “complete” hives with 2 deeps and 2 supers each which he brought to Dad’s that were to be ours. After I got him two nucs which I bought from a friend of mine his hives were not ready so I placed in the hives that were to have been ours.

He never paid us/me back for the nucs and now is calling Dad to ask when we will be coming to pick up the supers and extract the honey. Figure after that I will have to bottle it! Well enough whining, for Dad’s sake, I will do what I can to help him and just keep quite. Life is too short to be bitter about it, though I will not be smiling while doing it. Will just take some of my time and a bit of sweat. My extractor holds 8 frames and I can extract them in a short time. Though have got to wonder what it will be like next year?

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is what our local guy charges. "Our Extraction Room Rates are: $40. minimum (covers the first 20 medium or shallow frames) $1.50 per additional Frame over 20(medium or shallow) $3.00 per deep Frame (if any)

Typically the cost runs under 50 cents per pound. "

1 - 5 of 5 Posts