Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed two packages ten days ago and filled the internal feeder with syrup. I did a quick look five days in to take out the queen cages (queens successfully out!) and fill the syrup. They had consumed quite a bit but, foolish me, I didn't really pay attention to how much because I was so excited to be "in the hive" if only for a few minutes. The bees looked great...I only lifted on frame momentarily, figuring I would be back later for a proper inspection.

Now, following the good advice of folks here, I have stayed out of the hive for the past week but wonder if I should open it if only to check the syrup level? Might they be in need a week after the refill?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have two new 3# Italian hives with internal frame feeders. They went through a gallon each of 1:1 syrup in 6 days last week.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've had my hives go through more than 2 liters a day. When I used a frame feeder with my first hive I had to refill it every day. What kind of feeder are you using?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, based on everyone's comments I did a quick hive inspection and ,yes, they had drained the in frame feeder of syrup in six days. Filled 'er up and replenished pollen patty.

Took a short peek....saw nectar, pollen and capped cells. New hive- too early for honey or capped brood? I thought the cells were whiter than tan but not sure...cells were center to top third of frame, but not near the top. ..thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts