Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New TBH, installed a package will be two months next week. Looked at them last week, seem to be doing fine, took a peek today through the window and it's packed. I didn't count but I would say all but two bars have comb. I have follower board after #16 bar, I'll move board tomorrow, how many new bars should I give them ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many say double what they have now, if they have 8 now give them 8 more ect...

Others will give them everything left after they are settled in and feed new bars between good straight brood frames. This is what I did and it has worked great.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just went out and gave them the whole hive, I kind of figured being cramped that's why they were getting a little testy lately. If they keep this up I'm going to have to build another hive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Bees are booming. Brood is hatching like crazy, you can actually see them munching their way out when you inspect.

On one most crowded (captured swarm) hive: They had 1 bar open on one end only, so last week I gave them 2 more bars on one end, and 1 on other, and by Sunday they had started building on both sides on all 3 new bars.

On package hive: they had 1 bar open on 1 end, so I added 1 more bar on each end, new comb is now on one end only.

So, add between brood? I thought you weren't supposed to disturb the nest?

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you want to keep or bees and there are plenty to keep brood warm around spaces, DO "disturb them,or lose them.It helps to put blank bars right in the brood area front and middle,every other bar or so-see Michael Bush site too-to give the queen room to lay so she doesn't decide to swarm. New packages(mine last year) will fill a whole TB hive without making honey bars except for partial brood mix bars. My April 9 hive swarmed June 14 last year from crowding as I couldn't keep up with them and didn't want to disturb them! Lesson learned. I didn't have a nuc or new hive to split in time;but I sure did This year! laugh. Room in the back will not stop swarming.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you have crosscomb-proof guides on your bars, like one-inch foundation strips, giving them the whole hive shouldn't be a problem, but keep in mind that just because they have the whole hive doesn't mean they won't swarm. You still need to open up the brood nest as they expand or they can become honey bound regardless of how much room is left. Also, if you don't have good guides on the bars, you could end up with serious cross combing. I always have a comb next to the follower board and add empty bars between straight combs. I add a few at a time--an empty bar every two or three combs--each week during peak honeyflow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts