Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to move my hives to a location in my yard that is between a fence and a shed. The space is 5 feet wide. Is this enough room for take off and landing? I'm not wondering if it is ideal, but want to know if it will be enough? The length of the 5 foot wide space is approx 20 feet but I will be facing the hives at the shorter distance so would they just use the longer path for take off and landing? The bottom boards have a landing strip. They are 10 frame boxes. They should get enough sun as the strip is in the path of sunlight most of the day.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Only thing I would worry about is a lack of ventilation when it gets hot. If the sun bakes the area and the heat just sits there with no air flow I would not put them there. I would say you know better than anyone else being you are familiar with the situation and use your own judgement. Otherwise why not. I hear some people put bee hives in old school buses and they just fly in and out the windows.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
its plenty of room, but as mentioned, watch your airflow. When i do splits, I take my boxes and turn them around facing the fence and force them to re-orient. The fence is no more than 1 ft away from the entrance and its actually really cool to watch them come in for a landing. They have gotten the technique down pat as they come in with a short hover then bam, slide right in from the left or right. You have to consider what nature has designed them for. They have lived in trees etc...for millions of years, so they have adapted to no runways, limbs leaves and any and everything else.....just some thoughts...

Reactions: drewski

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Plenty of room. But since you said that they would use the 20 ft for take off and landing, why don't you orient the hive in that direction? Leave yourself enuf room to work around the hive.

I know a guy who has about 30 or so colonies, I've never counted them, in a space about ten or twelve feet by thirty. They do fine. No grass to cut infront of the hives.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey Mike,

The area you described should be fine.

Here's my little corner behind two sheds smaller than what you described though I only have one hive at the moment but will be expanding shortly.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I have heard of urban beekeepers facing the hive entrance towards the wall of their garage or house for the purpose of forcing the flight path up and over people's heads.

6 inches to 1 foot should be adequate. If the distance is too small (an inch or two) the bees will climb down to the hive entrance, rather than flying down to it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
I often face a hive toward the wall so that people don't have to walk in the flight path and so they get some height on their way out. This seems to work fine. usually I put them like 9" to one foot away from the wall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts