Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted before that I was making quilting boxes. I've just put them on and they are indeed working like I expected, but now I have a new concern and that is this: am I actually starving the hive of moisture that they might need in order to get water during the winter?

I am just across the lake from Seattle WA, and we have cloudy, rainy winters. Unless we have a 'warm' winter, and I don't think that we will, the bees probably won't be able to get out to get any water that they may need.

As per usual, I made a video of my new set up.

Paul M

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hi Paul. Nice set-up and vid. I like the observation window you put in. Generalizing a bit because I am not from your area, I would say you need not worry about the lack of moisture given what your video shows. Looks like it is a major problem in your area. While it may not get too cold there, you might consider a thin piece of foam board friction fit under your outer covers. It will help with condensation and help protect the covers which look like they are getting pretty wet and moldy. Also, you have a few hives so you can experiment on optimal ventilation. Maybe vary the amount of vent holes and the size of the entrance. Are you running solid or screened bottom boards? J

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul. Nice set-up and vid. I like the observation window you put in. Generalizing a bit because I am not from your area, I would say you need not worry about the lack of moisture given what your video shows. Looks like it is a major problem in your area. While it may not get too cold there, you might consider a thin piece of foam board friction fit under your outer covers. It will help with condensation and help protect the covers which look like they are getting pretty wet and moldy. Also, you have a few hives so you can experiment on optimal ventilation. Maybe vary the amount of vent holes and the size of the entrance. Are you running solid or screened bottom boards? J
Solid boards. So the only air coming in is the entrance, which is restricted presently. The first hive in the vid has insulation under the wooden 'ceiling'. Last year I ran weather stripping around the perimeter of the tops, thinking it would help insulate but instead it sealed the ventilation off.

It usually doesn't get too cold here but for the next 4-5 mos. we will have quite a few below freezing temps, probably no lower than about 20 degrees or so, and maybe even a snow.

Thanks,

Paul M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts