Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--I have just harvested approximately 100 pounds of water white spring honey here in Northern VA. I am interested in selling it but not sure how much to charge. I have bottled it in 16 oz honey jars and 12 oz honey bears. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
760 Posts
check Bee Culture for your area price guide !!! but if you sell it from your house -- $5-7 is average -

to be fair ,,, charge what you think your time and materials are worth - no sence in giving your crop way for free

if you sell bulk - its $1-3 per pound

good luck

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Where are you goingto sell it? From your home? At a farmers mkt? Where?

I don't give the prices in the magazines to much credit. I don't know where they get their info. Certainly not where I see honey sold.

You have a unique specialty item that can't be found in any grocery store and perhaps not in any health food store in your area either. I would play up that point by putting a "Limited Edition" label on it and a high price. Higher than you see at the grocery store and the health food store.

What does it taste like? make that a selling point also.

Purity, taste, unique color and floral source (probably locust, I imagine).

What ever you do, don't give it away, don't under sell it.

Being right there in the middle of VA, more or less, your First Colony Limited Edition Locust Honey should command a price of $10.00 per one pound jar or Honey Bear. W/ the honey bear the customer is paying more for the honey because of the package it comes in.

If you sell at a farmers mkt and there are two of you selling honey, sell your for more. Because it is better. Whatever you do, don't sell it for less in order to get rid of it. Never think of selling your honey as getting rid of it. You are selling your time and talent and the hard work of your bees.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
We need more honey marketers, more honey sellers. Some times making the stuff is the easy part. I said sometimes.

·
Registered
760 Posts
we sell our at $7.50 lb in bears and Quarts are $20 -- sell like hot cakes

im finding i sell more on rainy days then sunny ones ...... but then again im in Washington State !!!! go figure haha

but really make your price the price that you find fair - if they dont pay that price - then thats their loss now isnt it !!!

but when the day is done be proud of the work you and your bees have done

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm selling 1 lb queenline jars at $8 and have sold out..with folks hitting me up for more. Selling at 2 local farmers markets and to friends and family. Went to market today and had folks asking where's the honey? I said it's on the hive..have to find some time to get it extracted. Aim high..it easy to lower a price, harder to raise it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Last year I sold in 1/2 pint jars for $4 each and in pint jars for $7 each. Sold 75 pounds to co-workers at the hospital where I work. Sold it all in less than a week and had people coming back and asking for more. Ever since they have been asking when they can get more honey. Had I sold at a farmers market I would have charged more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts