Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If you have an out yard on someone's property,
1- what is the amount of honey to you give them?

2- Is a 10% of net harvest, up to one gallon, a fair and reasonable amount?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I give mine 2 gallon in bottles. Good bee yards and nice folks to work with are important. Keep their place clean. I tell them if they run out to let me know and I will get them more. We stick 50 colonies to a yard. If I was only sticking in a few as a hobbyist the honey amount would be smaller

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I run smaller yards of 3-9 hives and usually give the land owner a 2 lb jar to start but stay in contact and regularly ask how their supply is doing. As Kamon said, a good yard and nice people are important; respect their property and I never want them to want for personal use honey.

I find that most of my landowners don't use more than 2 lb per year, if that much.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Keep their place clean.
I think what Kamon said here is more important than the honey. Most landowners that allow this arrangement simply like the "idea" of bees on their property. They think it is neat, or they think it benefits their lands or they like the fact that they are helping the bee situation, or whatever. To that end, I want to try to give them that idyllic beeyard with well kept hive stands, nicely painted boxes and everything neat and orderly.

Get sloppy and make their property look bad, and you will probably get an unhappy landowner.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I carry the weed eater about every other visit to trim around the hives for two reasons. The landowner can make their first pass away from the hives without needing to get too close and the landowner can make their first pass away from the hives without needing to get too close - I've had a leg on the stand buckled after being hit by a brush hog.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have 4 outyards in addition to my home yard. I keep anywhere from 3 to 6 hives at these locations (according to the landowners wishes). When I harvest, I bring the landowners about a gallon each in pint jars or 12oz bears (whichever they want) and tell them to let me know if they need/want more. Some of them actually want to buy the honey from me. I have one landowner with a son who eats honey seemingly by the gallon - but I don't mind, those hives are on his alfalfa fields. The others might ask for a bit more once before the next harvest; or not at all. I don't really keep track of it. None of them take advantage of the situation and I appreciate having the sites.

psm1212 is right though - every one of them just loves that they have bees on their property. They don't see it as them helping me out - they see it as me doing them a favor.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've got 4 bee yards and only own 1 of them. The other 3 yard owners approached me and just wanted bee's on their property and want nothing in return. One of them actually insists on purchasing honey because he's aware of the work involved.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
Also depends on what they do. If they keep a path way to the hives open and trimmed. And if they harvest anything that needs pollination.
Often they are having a benefit as well. If they had Apples do they offer 10% of the apples up to a Bushel? I guess I would offer a couple Jars, Quarts. you could offer time, depends on what they value. Maybe cut and split some fire wood one Saturday. its all relative, how many Hives , how good is the yard, do you already have a relationship with the person? It would be hard to put a cut and dried value on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts