Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am located in northwest, Louisiana and was able to check the hives due to warm temps this weekend. There are lots of bees and capped brood. At this stage, how much honey is enough? When food grows short this time of year, what do you feed?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I feed any time there are no supers on and the hive feels light when I "heft" it from the back bottom handle. If the temps are still below 50 in your part of the world, feed damp sugar on newspaper, fondant, or candy boards. Once the temps are regularly above 50, feed 1:1 sugar syrup.

HTH

Rusty

·
Registered
219 Posts
This is the most important time of year to make sure they have enough. They start consuming honey very rapidly this time of year to start feeding all the young bees they are producing. I seen my strong hives go through a whole super in February. Im in south Louisiana and the willows will start blooming in about a week or two and blackberries soon after. Once they make it to willow and blackberry bloom they are good to go down here. If my hives need it before that, ill feed them sugar syrup starting in February. I would think you could start syrup also as we should start warming up over the next few weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts