Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you have single deeps with excluder and 2-3 medium supers on top, could you expect 80-100 lbs per colony? I have 12 and am thinking I'll get 1200 lbs roughly. if sold at $13 a pound should bring $15,600 crazy? I might start at $15 a pound.
I also dream!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I got about 80 lbs total from my 10+ hives this year, and I had to feed heavily in the fall. Who knows?

Next year, of course, will be so much better ...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have 20 colonies.......some I got 2 full supers from......some I got zero honey from. I got a total of about 400 lbs. Selling honey @ $8 per pound ain't making me rich....only sweet. :D

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I got 1200 lbs from 20 hives this year. 60# average. I sell it for $5/pound retail, $4/pound jarred wholesale and $3/pound by the 5 gallon bucket. I live in a poorer, rural area.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
>could you expect 80-100 lbs per colony?

You can expect whatever you like. But keep in mind:

"Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed"--Alexander Pope

"Demand not that things happen as you wish, but wish them to happen as they do, and you will go on well."—Epictetus, The Discourses

"I have no hopes and therefore I have no fears" --Reepicheep, in Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesexpectations.htm

·
Registered
504 Posts
if sold at $13 a pound should bring $15,600 crazy? I might start at $15 a pound.
Do you mean $13 or $15 a quart? Your math translates to $39 or $45 a quart.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
no it doesn't, it's your math that is off

13 x 1200 is 15,600
His math isn't off. You are just working a different math problem than he is.

If OP sells for $13/pound and there are 3 pounds in a quart, then $39/quart of honey.
If OP sells for $15/pound, then $45/quart of honey.

Spur's comment had nothing to do with the $15,600 gross of the OP's projections.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Love the responses, especially MB's continuing education courses. I'm too small to give an educated response, but experienced enough to say Good Luck. J

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I keep track of an Orthodox priest, who is also a beekeeper/hive builder & seller.
His businessman friends told him, with all due respect - the beekeeping (and everything around the beekeeping) is business for poor people.
This is generally accurate.

I am sure you knew this already.
But if so - why spend so much money and expect even more money in return?
:)

PS: otherwise, the beekeeping is a great hobby, especially when one has a steady job (or is retired);
being "poor" in the First World countries is a relative term and not necessarily bad either.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
To get 80-100 pounds per hive and sell all of the honey, you have a lot of "if's" to get through.

If you can keep them alive over the winter
If you can keep them from swarming in the spring
If the weather cooperates during the flow
If the area can support that many hives
If there is enough forage available
If you can keep expenses down
If you can sell 1,200 individual bottles

I don't live anywhere near you so I have no idea what you can expect from a single hive in a good or bad year. In my area, if you can get 35 lbs. per hive from a stationary hive, it is a really good year. Personally, I hope you do get 1,200 lbs. from your hives! I just love seeing success in beekeeping.

·
Registered
About 30 hives
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why spend so much money and expect even more money in return?

PS: otherwise, the beekeeping is a great hobby, especially when one has a steady job (or is retired);
being "poor" in the First World countries is a relative term and not necessarily bad either.
I figure it would be something to do when retired, I still have 15 yrs to work though, but figure I can build up a business out of it after work, I'm only out about a months salary anyway, but am always looking for more ways to make money:)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
One of my goals this year was to carefully track my expenses and income related to my beekeeping. I found some free software (waveaccounting) and tracked every dime I spent. I even tracked mileage on my truck (Stride app) and reimbursed myself the IRS mileage rate. Treatments, sugar, wood, screws, glue, everything.

My current status as of November 12, 2019 is (-$1,829.97). But I have roughly 28 gallons of honey left and I do have a new 25 gallon Maxant bottling tank and added a motor to my extractor.

Had a lot of fun losing $2 grand. Hell, I think I knocked it out of the park this year. Hope to keep my losses to $2k/year from now on.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
This year I have a pretty good crop.
Wife asked (half-jokingly) - should we sell some?
I said - it is more smart to give few gifts to few valuable and deserving people.
We eat the rest.
I am pretty sure I am correct at this point and at the time.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I Like Michael's" You can expect whatever you like"

Last year my best hive made me just under 300 kg ( you work out what this is in lb) and I averaged about 160 - 170 kg per hive.

I also made about 50 nuc's which knocks the yield.

This year.....it is very dry here and we have bushfires galore. I hate to think what my average is going to be this year.

We have to take the good and the bad and learn form each

·
Registered
About 30 hives
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I Like Michael's" You can expect whatever you like"

Last year my best hive made me just under 300 kg ( you work out what this is in lb) and I averaged about 160 - 170 kg per hive.

I also made about 50 nuc's which knocks the yield.

This year.....it is very dry here and we have bushfires galore. I hate to think what my average is going to be this year.

We have to take the good and the bad and learn form each
300 kg is 600 lbs

1 - 20 of 81 Posts