Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
As much as you can uncap. The uncapping is usually my bottle neck. I can do 300 lbs in a day with a 2 frame manual extractor.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you are good at decapping, are set up right so that you don't have to stop to process cappings or clean filters and have someone loading you could probably do five or six eight frame supers in an hour.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like the others said depends. Do you have an automatic decapper, are you using deeps or shallows, how long are you willing to work in a day, how warm is the honey, how often does your kid come in and ask how to do a math problem or your wife call you for dinner

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Our honey is very thick 16% moisture. We are always waiting for the extractor to finish.
We need to spin about 20min per load, so aprox. 40 min per super.

Thats why we upgraded to the 20 frame. We still uncap manually faster than the extractor.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We need to spin about 20min per load, so aprox. 40 min per super.
Similar situation here. I can uncap a load faster than I can extract it. Getting a bigger extractor isn't an option,though.

The afrorementioned distractions aren't a factor for me, so I am mostly limited by daylight extracting-hours... I can extend the day a bit by building a honeyhouse.

Mostly I'm looking to find out what's possible. About what did you harvest per day when you had your 6-frame extractor?

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you are good at decapping, are set up right so that you don't have to stop to process cappings or clean filters and have someone loading you could probably do five or six eight frame supers in an hour.
WOW! I think this sounds WAY TOO optimistic. Do the math...Six 8 frame supers is 48 frames, 6 frames at a time, you need 8 extractions to finish. In an hour, that allows for 7.5 minutes per extraction....Note: That would be allowing absolutely NO TIME for loading and unloading, or anything else, realistically, I would think those activities would easily bring you down to under 5 minutes per extraction of actual "spin" time.

Maybe I'm an over cautious newbie, but I found myself running my extractor, an electric Maxant 6 frame radial, closer to 12 to 15 minutes per extraction to fully empty the comb.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I thought it was a stretch also.
I think we are comparing a radial extractor otherwise you are flipping your frames. The best time cycle you can get is to have two extractors so you are loading one while the other is spinning. If the uncapping and loading cannot be done in the time of the spin then some of the uncapping has to be done before loading. Separate your tasks and time them so you can match the work cells to what you have. Overall time cycles vary with available labor, matched work cells, and the equipment that you have.

Note that temperature will make a huge difference especially if the honey is thick. It takes a long time to heat up honey that is in a frame which is why some people use hot rooms. Using one will greatly increase through put.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
We can get 10-15 gallons in a day. Usually takes us 2 days with cleanup if we had 8 or 10 supers. We always dedicate a whole weekend when we extract.

Similar situation here. I can uncap a load faster than I can extract it. Getting a bigger extractor isn't an option,though.

The afrorementioned distractions aren't a factor for me, so I am mostly limited by daylight extracting-hours... I can extend the day a bit by building a honeyhouse.

Mostly I'm looking to find out what's possible. About what did you harvest per day when you had your 6-frame extractor?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts