Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have four hives, brood boxes, I've been building up for the upcoming three month mangrove bloom starting in May, my question is, when I take the boxes to the mangroves should I install one super per brood box or more? If I use one super per hive I'll have to harvest it when it's full and take it back for the bees to fill it again, the benefit of this is the super frames are already built out and the bees will not have to build new comb, or should I add two supers per box and just harvest at the end of the bloom? It's less work for me to have multiple supers but more work for the bees. Obviously my supers are new and have no comb and obviously I'm fairly new to this to.
Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have four hives, brood boxes, I've been building up for the upcoming three month mangrove bloom starting in May, my question is, when I take the boxes to the mangroves should I install one super per brood box or more? If I use one super per hive I'll have to harvest it when it's full and take it back for the bees to fill it again, the benefit of this is the super frames are already built out and the bees will not have to build new comb, or should I add two supers per box and just harvest at the end of the bloom? It's less work for me to have multiple supers but more work for the bees. Obviously my supers are new and have no comb and obviously I'm fairly new to this to.
Thanks
Please clarify this.

Are you saying the mangrove bloom lasts THREE months ?

(Two supers doesn't sound like much for a flow of that length.)

If so, my thought is you will either need to extract very often or risk swarming.

Better way, in my opinion, is to stack 2-3 supers per hive, take off 2 when they are filled, extract and put back on.

After the first cycle you will be putting drawn comb back on, so they will get filled even faster.

( Those of us here in the Flatlands of Western IL would give our first-born to have a three month honey flow.....)

Good luck !

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
You should have a minimum of two supers per hive, even if you do not put them both on at once. This year, I would place one to get drawn out and filled. Pull it when most of the frames are capped and put the other one in its place immediately with the few still uncapped frames. Let them draw and fill that one and swap again if able. Next year you could put both drawn supers on at the same time, but by then I would have a third super available. Even here where the average per hive yield is just one medium, I have two per hive. Do not want to get caught short if we are having a good flow.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
How many boxes do they usually fill during the bloom?

2 boxes, sounds like u will need to use one without comb. That actually saves them from protecting comb, although at that point they will probably build so quickly it won't matter. Building up the comb will help next year. They can also be filling the new comb while drying the nectar and getting it prepared to cap. If you do that, checkerboard the comb with the new frames to help keep them from building one out so deep that the other is too shallow to cut the caps off.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you do that, checkerboard the comb with the new frames to help keep them from building one out so deep that the other is too shallow to cut the caps off.
OK, time for a question here, and please don't take this as a personal put-down, OK ?

Have you actually seen this happen ?

Or is this one of those pieces of Internet Beekeeping Wisdom that we've all read and thought 'never seen THAT !' ?

Because in 57 years,I've NEVER seen it happen.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
OK, time for a question here, and please don't take this as a personal put-down, OK ?

Or is this one of those pieces of Internet Beekeeping Wisdom that we've all read and thought 'never seen THAT !' ?

Because in 57 years,I've NEVER seen it happen.
Yes, I have seen it. They will also build the comb deeper (Which is what I mean by building it across the space and into the area of the neighboring frame.) if the frames are not pushed up against each other. Many, me included, use this to our advantage by running 9 frames in a 10 frames for the supers. This way they draw the cells out past the wood frame and it is easier to uncap. Maybe what I'm explaining is not coming across through text. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been quite a few years since I've harvested mangrove honey but from what I've read and remember the bloom is May-July, some sources say June-July.
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been many years since I've harvested mangrove honey so don't really remember, just getting back into it. I don't understand you explanation completely, what's "protecting comb"? So checkerboarding is alternating foundation frames with down out frames, how does this help with "to help keep them from building one out so deep that the other is too shallow to cut the caps off.", and what does that mean exactly?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't understand you explanation completely, what's "protecting comb"? So checkerboarding is alternating foundation frames with down out frames, how does this help with "to help keep them from building one out so deep that the other is too shallow to cut the caps off.", and what does that mean exactly?
Thanks!
I'm referring to the bees protecting the comb from wax moths. Not fun to come back and find that moths got in there and ate it all up.

By having comb next to the frame they are drawing out, there is a "boundary" for how far they draw it before they reach the preferred bee space between the new comb and whatever is opposite of it. With two foundations next to each other, they may just work on one and draw it out until they reach their preferred bee space up against the undrawn foundation of the next frame. Then it is a pain to be able to lift them out.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
SK snippet

Ich habe es auch gesehen. I was trying to get some supers drawn last year and made the mistake of checkerboarding foundation and drawn honey frames. The honey frames ended up drawn all the way to the sheet of foundation, which did not get drawn at all. Made a mess because the frames were too fat to do anything with. I ended up using them a feed frames for some nucs. Supers IMO, should always be 100% drawn or undrawn, never a mix.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
SK snippet

Ich habe es auch gesehen. I was trying to get some supers drawn last year and made the mistake of checkerboarding foundation and drawn honey frames. The honey frames ended up drawn all the way to the sheet of foundation, which did not get drawn at all. Made a mess because the frames were too fat to do anything with. I ended up using them a feed frames for some nucs. Supers IMO, should always be 100% drawn or undrawn, never a mix.
Interesting that you prefer all undrawn to checkerboard. I've had more problems with all undrawn than with checkboarding this year. All drawn is best, but I don't have the comb for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts