Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When buying equipment, how may supers do y'all buy per hive? Or, in there words, how many supers should one have on hand for each honey production hive?

·
Registered
195 Posts
When buying equipment, how may supers do y'all buy per hive? Or, in there words, how many supers should one have on hand for each honey production hive?
This is one of those things that really depends on your location and how well the flow goes there historically. I like to have 4 supers per hive when I can. 4 supers has been about the maximum amount a hive will fill here during the spring flow for me. However, some people have hives in locations with really strong flows where they can fill 2 supers in a week.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My first year, I bought 2 hive kits with 2 deeps and 2 mediums supers which what was recommended. I made 2 emergency runs to my supplier (after hours but he met me) to buy 2 more for each and then 2 more after that. At the time, I didn't understand how quickly the girls can work but more importantly, I did own or have quick access to an extractor. I now have a an 8 frame motorized extractor (and 30+ hives) and while I have extra supers, I have a minimum of 3 per hive so as they get filled, I can pull the bottom one, extract and get the super/frames with extracted comb back on top right away. Repeat as needed. I believe someone here much wiser than I on the forum wrote that a couple of weeks ago using the term "honey conveyor."

Stacking too many looks cool but become difficult for a 105 lb. 5'7" 17 year old. Getting ready for number 5 and yelling at the Old Man to go buy an extractor....
IMG_2447.JPG

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,393 Posts
I try for a deep and 6-7 mediums for my hives. My brood nest tends to run a deep on bottom and 2-4 mediums on that, and then 2-4 supers on top of that. I only extract once per year. Once the hives get this tall they get hard to work, so if you have a lot of hives few boxes and multiple extraction per year is probably a better plan.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To you folks that have four or more medium supers on top of two deep brood boxes how do you lift the upper supers on and off?

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
975 Posts
To you folks that have four or more medium supers on top of two deep brood boxes how do you lift the upper supers on and off?
Stand on a six foot ladder, sit them into the front end loader on the tractor and drive to the house.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
First my bees sit on the ground and throwing super only gets real uphill the sixth one setting on a two deep brood chamber. I am 5'!0". Whem I was in my prime on prime ND pasture, I supered from the bed of my bee truck which I drove between two rows of singles. Now if the hive gets too tall, I set a super or two on the ground with a cover on top of them and super off that. That does not happen very many seasons any more.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Stand on a six foot ladder, sit them into the front end loader on the tractor and drive to the house.

G3farms is now going to be the Forum's Health and Safety Moderator!!!🤣

Carefully. We had a heck of a flow that year and the girls were filling boxes quicker that UPS delivered our extractor. That picture of my daughter, is of her standing on the 2" x 12" of a raised box herb garden and she's 5'-7" tall with a hive stand that's top surface is a foot off the ground. Each of those medium boxes were over 35 pounds of honey and I'm 6'-2", they were still back breakers. Keep in mind-they were chuck full of somewhat annoyed bees. I'd stay at 2 mediums and have a third in reserve, strip off the bottom one, extract and throw the first one back on- a honey conveyor. Reality is with 30 plus hives now, I'm buying ready made boxes by the pallet-not cheap but you can never have enough woodenware. May have to get one of those tractors and ladders.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I like to have 3 supers available per hive.

Reactions: LarryBud

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you have room, it helps to have a couple of used freezers dedicated to holding full frames. I pulled off 8 full boxes yesterday---just so I could continue to reach the top of the hives. Another idea is to invite help. I have two younger, stronger, taller friends who help out with the heaving lifting when needed. Moving those honey boxes is a huge nuisance when checking for swarming or pulling frames for nucs!

·
Registered
135 Posts
For the past 12 years I have run my apiary with all 3/4 boxes for both brood and honey supers, and here in Auckland, New Zealand, a temperate climate, I run 2 x brood and 3 x honey. I find it helps to have only one size of box and one size of frame and cycle the frames over the years. First and second year as honey frames and then third and fourth year as brood. After that they need a good clean to get rid of old wax, cocoons and residu of treatments and any disease that may linger on in the frames!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,803 Posts
Well I make mine, but make or but is the same question.
I would think 4 mediums would cover "most" of the hives.

One year with a heavy flow and Me light on supers, when I added the third, I pulled the first and extracted, then put it back, was amazed how fast they fill a wet in the flow but it did buy me some time to make more that winter.

GG

·
Registered
255 Posts
In the Dakotas with a good year for clover, they will have 8-9 medium supers filled up.
In NE Georgia, I just took the fifth medium super off my best hive since our clover is fading away. And our privet flow was only half of what it usually can be.
I think these folks are using deeps as supers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts