Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
So would this be considered an afterswarm? Those queen would be virgins right?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would this be considered an afterswarm? Those queen would be virgins right?
Yes; that was an after-swarm with the virgins.
So the video maker failed to make that clear (he should have) - an important detail.

He found 6 queens in the swarm itself AND about 40 hatching queens were still in the hive.
He let this swarm happen naturally so he could document it.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I just had this happen. I caught a swarm, found the queen and removed her, and introduced a marked queen. No sign of the marked queen 14 days later, but there is an unmarked queen walking around the hive, not laying. J

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Then perhaps the cell I destroyed with the purple eyed pupae was the only existing queen potential of the colony. I guess I will wait a few days and put in a test frame with eggs and open brood for a test. I was surprised to see no queen cells ambushed from the side.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then perhaps the cell I destroyed with the purple eyed pupae was the only existing queen potential of the colony. I guess I will wait a few days and put in a test frame with eggs and open brood for a test. I was surprised to see no queen cells ambushed from the side.
Sure; why not.
I have a split in a remote yard right now - it started as a queen-less and I wanted to just harvest the ECs from it.
Well, I was late to get to it (darn it!).
There were three properly hatched ECs (and several destroyed from a side).
Anyway, I fumbled that project with only a single queen for all the trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts