Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you running all mediums, how many brood boxes do you normally encourage? I know a lot of folks do not use an excluder (as I am not) but I'm more wondering what the minimum brood box count should be. I believe it's 3 mediums (somewhat equivalent to 2 deeps) but thought I'd confirm with the experts.

Registered
In upstate ny we use 3 with a qx above. we use 2 high for the ones we take to sc. we started out with deeps but now perfer all med supers for brood nest and extracting. makes life easier.

Registered
I been using 3 without qx down the way from beeware. Last year, queen laid up into the 4th box. Not much into it, but at the bottom of the 4th box. This year Im going to try and use one deep on the bottom. More space for queen and stores, dont have to lift bottom box really.

Registered
3 and sometimes she's laying in the 4th ...last year one of my hives laid a small bit in the 5th. ...but I could three medium boxes as equal to 2 deeps but let her have what she needs.

Registered
Ditto rniles.
Normally 3 here in Colo. Sometimes a really strong hive will get to overwinter in 4.

Are you coastal or upland?

Registered
Not much for winters here (a dusting of snow here and there with tons of rain!).
Depending on the duration, you might do OK with 2 mediums. If you have the means, equipment and resolve, you might find it works better for you. It's a wasted effort for both me and the bees here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts