Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious as to how many times you all extract honey each Spring. The last 3 or 4 Springs we have done a first extraction of privet/clover/whatever else honey by mid May, and then another extraction after the Chinese Tallow flow around July 4th.

I realize that the answer will likely vary based on location, I’m just curious to see what others are doing. It seems that most other beekeepers around here extract only one time in July.

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
It varies for me. I extract multiple times. When possible, I extract after the orchard blooms and then extract one or two more times in the Spring and once in the Fall. I like to keep the different flavors from the different blooms separate.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Once in July. I don't get enough honey to do it twice.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I do it as soon as all the bees abscond or die and try to do so before the robbers get there to clean me out. :) But that is very likely not a best practice :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do it as soon as all the bees abscond or die and try to do so before the robbers get there to clean me out.
But that is very likely not a best practice
Hahahahaha!! I needed a good laugh. Right there with ya!

Ffrtsax - that’s the main reason I try to do it as well, to keep the distinct tasting honey separate.

I don’t suppose that there’s a difference in the amount of honey one would get. 2 or 3 supers all at once vs extracting one super 2 or 3 consecutive times. As long as the extracting process doesn’t take more than a few hours and it is back on the hive. Thoughts?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm hoping to be able to extract once around the beginning of July but it isn't looking good. These cold fronts and all the rain have kept the bees from bringing in hardly any nectar.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I extract in June around father's day. Spin out and put some of the comb back on the hives along with some fresh foundation or starter strips. Then pull combs again the first week of August . That way on the 2nd extraction I can get some sourwood and whatever wasn't ready on the first extraction. Then it is time to start varia treatments (don't usually get surplus from the fall flow). This is in western NC.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I extract one a year, in the fall.

Last year I kept the honey from my 2 hives separate. The one that I split twice had more late season honey, and the other one had the entire season. There was a distinct color and taste difference between them.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I’m curious as to how many times you all extract honey each Spring. The last 3 or 4 Springs we have done a first extraction of privet/clover/whatever else honey by mid May, and then another extraction after the Chinese Tallow flow around July 4th.

I realize that the answer will likely vary based on location, I’m just curious to see what others are doing. It seems that most other beekeepers around here extract only one time in July.

Thanks!
Around April Fools Day, we add a queen excluder over the bottom three eight frame medium brood boxes, and we add a super. Over the next five or so weeks, we add two or, depending on the colony, occasionally three, more supers. Around Memorial Day we install a bee escape above the bottom three eight frame medium frames and harvest the honey from early trees, Ligustrum sinense, clover, and other wildflowers. We return most of the wet supers right after the May pull (usually the same day). Sometime between July 1st and Labor Day, we harvest for Chinese Tallow. We ordinarily don’t return supers then. These days, the bees get to keep the fall goldenrod and aster flow, but we used to harvest that honey around All Saints’ Day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts