Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit Post should be How Many Hives can I put in a Truck Bed

I need to move some hives and wanted to put them in the back of an old pickup truck 8 ft. bed and leave the truck at this location for a couple of weeks and then move it out to the fields in June.

I was thinking of putting 7 hives in the truck bed 3 smaller splits of 1 box each towards the front side by side and 3 established hives 2 to 3 boxes at the back of the truck with the tail gate down side by side and putting a smaller 2 box high hive in the middle of the bed.

I have screened bottom boards to help keep them cooler, last year I did this with 4 hives Two up front and Two in back it wasn't ideal to inspect the hives but they did ok.

I am worried about having the boxes that close side by side with only an inch of space between them. Once the flow starts will I be ok or am I setting myself up for robbing?

Any experience on this would be appreciated, I need to find a flat bed trailer because moving them by myself full of bees is a challenge for me.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Re: How Hives will fit in a Truck Bed

Any reason why you wouldn't put the small hive on top of the big ones and move the load forward? The bees might appreciate the smoother ride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ace I didn't think of stacking them. That would be better to only have Two hives at the rear so I have a path to get into the truck and a path to exit in a hurry if they get riled up.
I am worried about having a couple of strong hives that close to a new split.

This many in a pickup is for a temporary location I will pull out the hive stands later

I don't know how you move a double 10 frame deep by yourself.

I can see the wisdom in Mr. Bushes going to 8 frame mediums all the more now.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts

Turn the entrances opposite to each other. Ratchet strap the hive and then ratchet strap the hive to a hand truck and use ramps off the tail gate. A good set of aluminum ramps is a must when you get a pick up.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

I use an aluminium ramp for wheelchairs.

The ramp I put on top of the hives and strap it down.

I use a simple hand truck to get the hives on and off. I wouldnot leave the truck with the hives out in the yards. What for?! A longbed is loaded and unloaded in no time.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts

A little over a week ago I got 16 doubles in a truck in one load. no problem. Just use good straps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Bernhard & Ace I like the idea of using aluminium ramps. Have you had good luck with the hand trucks? I was wondering if it's better to get a truck with a large base with pneumatic tires and or use a solid bottom board?

I have noticed that when I have tried moving heavy hives with Two people using a screened bottoms the bottom board creaks and flexes and isn't as strong as a solid bottom

Can you load a heavy hive back into the truck your self?
How secure are the ratchet straps holding the hives together and one holding the bodies to the hand truck, have you had issues while moving them separating?

I guess you can only put the hives on the ground and not raised up on a pallet to use the hand truck

This would be cheaper than buying a trailer

Daniel I would like to see a picture of 16 doubles in a truck bed, you must have a loader?

Thanks

·
Banned
13,203 Posts

http://www.discountramps.com/lawn_mower_ramps/p/AFP-9012-2-LAWN/

These are the ramps I have. They are very light and fold in half. There is a curve at the top section that helps clear the deck when you use them for a lawn mower. If the hive is real heavy you might need a hand truck that you can lay down on a set of casters so it becomes a cart then you can winch the hive in the truck. For heavy things that I am doing myself I have a big rope pulley mounted in the truck. One end is tied to the hand trunk. The other end goes through the pulley and back down to the bottom of the hand truck where you can wrap it around the axile several times as a capstan. Pushing the cart from the bottom and taking up the slack as you go is a way of inching things up into the truck. There are a number of things you can do with a pulley so it stays in the bed of the trunk. I have tractors and other vehicles that I tie the rope to and back up and pull things into the truck.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

I have small so called "display pallets" which fits for one hive. Made from durable plastic and the best is: you stack 90 pallets and the height of the stack is 1.20 m. I use one pallet per hive since it allows to use smaller niches to setup hives.

The hand truck is a cool tool, I use it all day long. You can drop the hive on a pallet with the hand truck. Not a problem. I don't use ratchet straps to hold the boxes together but spring steel hooks.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
8 frame hives are great because of their dimensions. I get 15 hives on my truck and stacked I get 30 hives on my truck. I move hives without honey on top, so they are lighter. I get them all up that ramp with the hand truck. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Ace & BernhardHeuvel
I have learned a lot from you Two. I like the idea of pulley & rope to prevent the load from getting away I never thought of that

BernhardHeuvel did you make those spring steel hooks? what gauge or size of steel rod are they, I like that idea better than wrestling ratchet straps under the hives, I have not seen a plastic display pallet that size here but I will have to look. I have lost my help at the house and I think I am getting to old to move 10 frame deeps by myself

any tips Ace on a good place to buy a hand truck? I have seen a few but thought I needed a larger tongue or base to load the hives on so they wouldn't be trying to push up into my screened bottoms. That plastic pallet would really strengthen up the bottom

Thanks for the tips

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Harbor Freight, the cheapest thing you can find.
Actually I use what I have which we call "storage discount". The purpose of the second strap around the truck (and it could be a strong bungee cord) is to keep the hive from tipping away where the bottom plate would go into your screen. Put the hive on the back not the side of the hive. A short plate is all you need. The concept is like an appliance dolly. If you were going to do this all the time you could modify a hand truck to have that horizontal strap.
Taking off honey supers is a very good idea. It eliminates the top heavy condition and the potential of breaking comb on a rough ride. The spring wire might not be strong enough for a loaded super.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts