Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bee yard is located in an rural area surrounded by a couple of thousand acres of farm land and woods. The crops are cotton,soybean and winter wheat. There are lot of poplar,oak,holly,maple,persimmon and some locust. I have 5 hives now and will be increasing to 35 this spring. what number of hives would this area support?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
That is like saying, "I have a blue car. What size tires do I need?"

Double the hives in that yard this year. Then next year, increase your hives again. Keep increasing until you stop seeing increasing honey yields.

Most places can handle 20 hives. Some places can only handle a couple hives, and some places 100 hives.

Make sure the bees have water available too.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have my hives in a national forest, but on some private farm land. It is actually pasture, that the owner has sown in clover. 200 acres of clover. So perhaps if you check with your county extension agent, you can find such a place? Make inquiries, you might be pleasantly surprised what you find.

Now, to answer your question, I have 14 hives there currently, building up to 30. More if the harvests continue to be good.
Good luck!
Steven

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Countryboy there is a 5 ac. pond about 800 yards away, plus two spring fed creeks within about 200 yards. Our farm is about 400 ac. I have plenty of space just did'nt know have many should be put togather in one yard.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Crawfish,
gots to break down and give you the bad news!!!!

wether you have 400ac or a travel trailer out back the food bank ..... your bees are not like dogs or chickens

the average foraging distance for bees is about 2 mile rad.
this is about 8000acs but if they cant make ends meet with that they can go out as far as FIVE miles - which is close to 50,000 acs

so back to your small plot of land ..... its WHAT you have on the land that is important
but most have 30 hives per five mile drive time to next yard -
if this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts