Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many frames of drone comb do you usually use for integrated mite management? I just pulled my first honey super (actually a packed medium) and replaced it with another medium. I mixed in some drone comb I had from last year.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I tried the drone comb, doesn't really work, but I put one green plastic frame of drone brood in each hive body. I run all mediums so thats three per hive or 10% of the brood chamber. Keep in mind that if you are producing drones, you are producing mites, so make sure you stay super on top of it in rotating them out. Also, the bees in my area stop producing that many drones in the fall when the winter bees are being made. This means I get no mite control in arguably the most critical time of year with this method in my location.

Reactions: AR1

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
One frame. You just need to remember to destroy the brood after it is capped! If you let it emerge, you have made things much worse. Also, it does not work unless you cull the other drones in your colony as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. Thanks. It looks like I need to do some adjusting. I knew to cull the drone brood after it was capped. Just wasn't sure how many frames to install.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My suggestion if you want to do this is put 2-3 frames from your supers in your brood boxes. Allow them to draw drone comb on the bottom of those frames. Then cut the natural drone comb off the bottom when it is mostly to fully capped. You can then melt the wax down. The green drone comb frames are great and the bees don't have to make new wax but you have to put them in the freezer for a while to kill everything inside then the bees will remove the dead bees and start over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts