Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to move a couple of frames of bees from a removal that I did last weekend into a nuc that needs a little help. How many frames of bees can I shake/add in before a newspaper combine is needed?

TIA

·
Registered
317 Posts
Take a 32 oz cup fill it with bees and put emerge in the nuc. If they have a queen I would put them into a ten frame hive when all the frames in the nuc are covered with bees. Or you can do a transfer with news paper now.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't know if there is an formula answer to the questions. I do know in spring, with young bees in the hive and a flow happening there really is no limit to what you can transfer from hive to hive.

In spring I will gather brood frames with bees from a bunch of hives, mix them together in transfer boxes and then distribute them to hives I want to boost with no problems.

If a flow is on, I would transfer a couple of frames, put them beside the brood nest of the nuc, possibly leave a empty frame between the brood nest and the new frames. Without a flow this should still work but the risk is a little greater.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts