Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I have 8 frame boxes and would really struggle to get another frame in. Would probably have to shave down the sides. No burr comb issues with my boxes (Betterbee). J

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
They look nice, but not familiar with the Hoover. what are the inside measurements of a box? Better yet, can you post a pic of a box with the frames in it? Maybe someone with Hoover's can chime in. J

·
Registered
262 Posts
It is ok to have a little space on the outside. don't stress out about it. Just make sure all the brood frames are pushed tight together.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
That Is definitely strange. The picture on Amazon shows 8 frames just fitting. Are your end bars 1-3/8" wide at the top?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
There are previous threads on this. It seems there is more variation on inside width on 8 frame equipment from various makers, than there is with 10 framers. You can get 9 new frames in some boxes but after the bees put a bit of wax and propolis on the frame sides, they become too much trouble to work the hives to be practical. Center 8 frames in the box and divide the space at the edges. Much easier to slide a frame sideways a bit to break the bond prior to having to pull them straight up.

Queens dont spend a lot of time on outer frames but a bit of space cuts the odds of rolling one when pulling the first frame out.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Eight frames at 1 3/8 inches each should be 11 inches wide, not 10 3/4 inches. This would give you 5/8 inch on each side of the box. It appears the quality control on the end bars width was a little lax.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I like having the little bit of extra space with the 8 frame boxes because it pretty much guarantees I will not roll the queen. However, I have never seen a box that 9 frames would easily fit in. Use 8 frames and push them all together into the center. The bit of burr comb that will happen on the walls is easy enough to remove with a hive tool. The one down side is that the comb on each end will have extended comb on it and you will not be able to move it into the center if needed. If you split the hive those end frames will always have to be end frames.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
This is a problem Brits have to deal with all the time. Our standard brood boxes were designed to take 11 frames at 38mm spacing, but these days commercially-produced frames are invariably 35mm - which leaves a good sized gap at one end. Many people deal with this by making a thin (20mm-ish) dummy frame which is pulled out first during inspections, and replaced last. Other people just live with the gap and the burr comb which nearly always occurs there ...

Me ? I make 34mm brood frames and then install 12. Simples. :)
LJ

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I just received my first bee hives, after assembly 9 frames will fit in an 8 frame box, is this right? looks like alot of free space for burcomb.
They are just suggesting to start using follower boards.
I would.
A good opportunity.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
That's a good idea, I can just trace out a frame onto a piece of plywood and fill the gaps.
Here you go.
Make several of them while at it - you will find lots of uses and then will want more.
I never have enough of these.
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts