Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now if you are an anti-trapper, anti-hunter, anti-consumptive use of natural resources person, this thread is not to offend. So please if you will, don't post a bunch of hatefulness. Start your own post about how trappers are terrible and I'll stay away.

I have seen some others that in their handles mention trapping or animals that are game for trappers, so I wonder who else here runs some traps and keeps bees.

I am a trapper, fisherman, hunter, and new beekeeper. When I was a kid a neighbor of ours, who was retired, would keep bees all summer and run a trapline in the winter. I was remembering him the other day and realized how well those two activities fit together; that is to say about the time one is winding down the other is starting up!!

RKR
MTA, NTA-life, NRA-life
5-beavers
2-muskrats
5-'****
1-Grinner
started Dec 10th

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Haven't trapped in a while but I grew up that way. I'm an avid hunter. Love to fish. I'm a Master Hunter Education instructor and run a number of courses each year. I also teach tracking and run an annual course on game recovery. Teaching someone to follow a blood trail, at night, in the rain, is fun and worth it since few people "practice" such things. Love to target shoot. My only drawback is so little time for it all.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I used to trap growing up till I was about 16 and got a drivers license and girls became my obsession. Then I started back up just after I got married and that(trapping) lasted about 4 yrs. I found with the price of hides that I was really wasting my time. I sold my 200+ traps(for bee equipment) and now only use hounds for ****. I also use hounds and predator calls for coyote & fox. I now feel it was a big mistake for selling my traps when I see what they are selling for new now. I miss the trapline and I am sure in the next few years I will be back at it again.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found with the price of hides that I was really wasting my time.
Yes the fur market is down right now. It a shame too, alot of good fur being wasted on the roadways and to many '*****, 'yotes, and beavers moving into town and causing trouble due to over population/filling of ideal habitat.

The traps I run are mainly for folks I know that are having problems. I wait until trapping season and do a bit of trapping. It keeps me in touch with my trapping roots and I believe it makes me a much better hunter and tracker. I don't charge for trapping, unless it is way out of my way. I have never had to follow a blood trail, at night, in the rain, but if I ever do, my sign reading skills learned as a trapper should help.

Right now I have some beaver jobs working and I have some coyote around my house that are getting a bit bold. They have been in the yard this fall, scraping with my wifes old dog. I need to put the kibosh on that before my dog gets hurt and my cats disappear.

I encourage you to get back out there!! Even if it is on a short line!!

RKR

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Mice-yes,but barely. If you could step up to gophers and moles you would be heading in the right direction.

Pollen-no,not even close, it needs to be a living creature whose life you take for pleasure, money or neccessity.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My dad was a traper when he was a kid. He use to tell me all the how two's about traping and how much he would make per pelt.. It didnt seem like very much!
It was something I wanted to get into but who buy's the pelts? What is going rate?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Some carcasses are used for food, some are fed to pets and others are recycled to be used for bait for more pelts.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It was something I wanted to get into but who buy's the pelts? A fur buyer who takes them raw, then has them fleshed, stretched and dried, then takes them to a fur auction that can be a national auction. Furs from the states can go anywhere in the world depending on the need for them.

What is going rate? This all depends on the species and the quality(primeness and color) 25-30 yrs ago a prime extra large **** went for $60+, now you are lucky to get $10. Anti-hunting/trapping groups and synthetic fibers are the cause for this price drop.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seems like a waste to kill a animal for a lousy ten dollar pelt.
Not to mention have it suffer for hours till a trapper checks the line.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Now if you are an anti-trapper, anti-hunter, anti-consumptive use of natural resources person, this thread is not to offend. So please if you will, don't post a bunch of hatefulness. Start your own post about how trappers are terrible and I'll stay away.
I'll stay away to

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
1-Grinner
What's a grinner?

I have trapped a Fox and a Bobcat. Caught the Fox on a can of Tuna Fish and the Cat on a racoon I shot earlier that day. Did sell the pelts. Shot both of them and had them mounted.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Thanks,

Yeah those possums do like to hiss at ya.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Thanks Big D. I almost pissed myself and fell off my chair reading that. I wish I could see the whole phone number so I can claim my cat. My kids really miss her. Just got done dispatching the big tom thats been eating her food outside and scarring her away. I'd post the pics of that trophy but 12 ga. 00 buck 3" at 25 yds doesn't look nice on white fur. Here kitty kitty kitty!:D

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Derek, that one got me. That's the kind of thing that I'll remember out of the blue for several days and start laughing for no apparent reason and everybody wonders if I'm headed for the looney bin.

As to trapping, I don't get where the pelts go to. I mean, I don't ever remember seeing anybody wearing a possum coat or a raccoon coat or a bobcat coat. Who wears that stuff?

(BTW, I'm not knocking trapping at all. This is not meant to be political or anything, I'm just asking.)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts