Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started two hives the first of april and I am using all deep boxes with 10 frames. I am getting ready to add my second box this week. My question is with this being the first year for the packages and they are having to draw out every frame, how many boxes should i have to add this year. I was thinking a total of 3 boxes per hive (a brood box and 2 honey supers) would that be enough or will I need more?

·
Registered
453 Posts
You are using deeps for your honey supers as well?

·
Registered
453 Posts
First response is OUCH. I'm only 26, but those heavy deeps are just that, heavy. And even MY back hurts lifting them after a while.

But to answer your real question, keep stacking until they stop filling them, or simply have two on for a brood chamber and rotate a third one out every time they fill it up.

Honestly though, you might actually end up harvesting more honey with smaller boxes due to the fact that you aren't waiting for a full 10 deep frames to be filled and capped.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You don't have to wait for all of the frames to be filled and capped. Take out the frames they've capped and extract it. How's the guy gonna get honey for his french toast if he waits for all 10 frames to get filled?

·
Registered
326 Posts
As they get 70% of the frames drawn out, add the next box and ten frames. These will be heavy when full, so handle carefully. I use deeps and shallows, but one have on occasion used three deeps. One advantage to the deeps is you have ready resources if you decide to make splits. But if your goal is honey production, some shallow supers could be in your future. Or a backache.

·
Registered
717 Posts
On a May nuc last year, I ran 2 deeps and a medium, adding when they had the previous box 70% filled or so - despite nearly constant feeding, they never drew out 1 cell in the 3rd box (medium) & died out early spring with 60# of capped honey in the second deep.

I'm going with the 'southern' or warm weather standard this year with 1 deep and then multiple mediums - I hate having to deal with 2 different standards, but with 20 frames of deep drawn comb, I think that it just makes sense (this year anyway).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts