Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many brood boxes do most people run in the Southeast? Some people here only have one, but my concern is that I won't have as many bee's if I only have one brood box as compared to two. I would like a good bit of honey next year and thinking the more bee's, the better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use single brood boxes with a queen excluder. They work well for me. You just have to feed a little in the early spring buildup period and some when you pull the honey off in the fall they will build up nicely and fill 3 deep honey supers if the nectar source is present

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've always used 2 deep brood boxes. Simple math backs this up if more bees is what you want. More times than not in early spring you'll find the bees spending all their time in the upper brood box. Once spring build up begins simply switch the upper and lower brood boxes and you've instantly doubled the available brood rearing area that you'd have with just one brood box.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Most beekeepers I know run two deeps. Personally I am trying my hand at three mediums.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I find that being able to open the brood nest (bottom box) using MattDavy's method works best for me. With only one brood box you will need to find a home for those frames that you have removed. During this swarm season it gave them something to do (building comb). As of right now, my queens that are in double deeps are using both for brood and they are booming with bees. I find double deeps both good for swarm management and more surface area for the queen to lay. Just my humble 2 cents worth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts