Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get this question all the time when I arrive to collect a swarm, "How many bees are in there?"

And I usually just say, "Oh, a few thousand," but without actually knowing.

So how many bees would y'all all guess are in the following swarms?

BowlingAlleySwarm.jpg

SecondSwarm2018.jpg

TorranceSwarm.jpg

TorranceSwarm2_90503.jpg

ArtCenterSwarm041919.jpg

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Oh, like a "how many jellybeans are in the jar" contest. I will offer a guess based upon my jellybean jar success, but only if you have counted the bees and if there is a prize. In other words: no idea. The only way I know how to estimate is based on 300 bees in a mite test. J

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I usually answer that question, by first estimating how many pounds of bees are in the swarm/weight of the container. Then multiple that by 2,500 for an estimate;)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
A full standard 9-11/16ths inch brood box with 10 frames packed with bees should be about 30,000 bees, so 3,000 to a frame, 1,500 to a side, but this is often an over-estimate because the are more spread out than when the whole box is packed tight.

So put the swarm in a box of frames and fudge your estimate on the light side, numerically. I will often give a SWAG at about 1,000 bees per frame side if the population is low, even less if the frame is not entirely covered.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Doing a Google search, I found there are 3-4k bees per pound. Basketball size is maybe 5-6 pounds. Go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts