Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get this question all the time when I arrive to collect a swarm, "How many bees are in there?"

And I usually just say, "Oh, a few thousand," but without actually knowing.

So how many bees would y'all all guess are in the following swarms?

Ceiling Membrane-winged insect Bee Insect Honeybee

Insect Bee Plant Beehive Pollinator

Bee Honeybee Beehive Insect Membrane-winged insect

Tree Branch Woody plant Plant Trunk

Plant Flower Tree Berry Woody plant

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Oh, like a "how many jellybeans are in the jar" contest. I will offer a guess based upon my jellybean jar success, but only if you have counted the bees and if there is a prize. In other words: no idea. The only way I know how to estimate is based on 300 bees in a mite test. J

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
A full standard 9-11/16ths inch brood box with 10 frames packed with bees should be about 30,000 bees, so 3,000 to a frame, 1,500 to a side, but this is often an over-estimate because the are more spread out than when the whole box is packed tight.

So put the swarm in a box of frames and fudge your estimate on the light side, numerically. I will often give a SWAG at about 1,000 bees per frame side if the population is low, even less if the frame is not entirely covered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get this question all the time when I arrive to collect a swarm, "How many bees are in there?"

And I usually just say, "Oh, a few thousand," but without actually knowing.

So how many bees would y'all all guess are in the following swarms?

View attachment 48245

View attachment 48247

View attachment 48249

View attachment 48251

View attachment 48253
Oh, like a contest to see how many jellybeans are in the jar. I'll make an estimate based on the success of my jellybean jar, but only if you've counted the bees and there's a prize. To put it another way, I have no notion. I can only estimate based on 300 bees in a mite test, which is the only method I know how to do so. I'm searching the internet web for an answer, and I'm having trouble finding it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
More than you think would be my answer. I remember looking at my first swarm catch. Thinking my 10 frame deep was way to big for the few frames of bees I was acquiring. The deep box was overflowing when I was done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts