Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a nuc take off with only 2 frames of bees?

I started out last week with a small nuc and then a package came in the mail. The nuc when I got it had 4 frames booming with bees, but by the end of the week, the flood of foragers in and out had ceased to a tiny trickle. Now there's maybe 2 1/2 frames of bees and I think they are young.

I don't know if my foragers ran into something nasty, or if they were all similar age and expired at the same time, but whatever, I'm fairly alarmed at this small number. They have a frame of brood they are tending, and don't seem to be moving off it. 2 and half frames of nectar. several empty frames not being worked.

I was toying with ordering another package, as H&R Apiary says they are going to ship some out end of May, in case this nuc doesn't do well, but I really don't know if I have time and resources for 3 hives.
What's your opinion?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, one frame with capped brood, eggs and larvae. Saw eggs when I inspected Saturday, peeked yesterday and no more filled out frames with brood. Can't decide if the queen doesn't want to cross the nectar filled frames on either side or if they don't have enough bees to keep any more brood warm enough. We've had a stormy then chilly last weekend and week.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Sounds ok.... unless the Queen suddenly expired in the last week or so, you may want to look specifically for her.

3 Hives? - Better than two.... much more flexibility.... not really more work... may even save you time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just that the cost of the package plus the extra equipment is a little cost prohibitive here in the spring while I'm also pouring money into my market garden. But if I can swing it, I'll probably order one and try to keep it as small hive. Thanks for the chime in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts