Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my bees this past Sunday. They have been pretty active except for yesterday when it was cold and windy. Question is, how long till they start bringing in pollen. Haven't seen any yellow on them yet.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Pollen is all colors but you should have seen some by now at your location I would bet. Is your queen released and laying yet? They might have other priorities until they have brood to feed. Check to see if that queen is laying in a few days.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
are you feeding them 1:1 sugar syrup at all? This will stimulate the queen to start laying and them to start pulling comb. Without comb, which if you installed on just foundation or no foundation they will need to build - it will take more time to build if they are not being fed. Which will also slow down them bringing in pollen.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I like 3 days to check on queen release and removing the cage, then 10 days to inspect again for eggs/larva and often some capped brood.
Since it has been more than 3 days, I'd go ahead and check asap for queen release.

·
Registered
421 Posts
thanks and apologies-- I missed seeing that it was a nuc in message 4 and jumped to a false conclusion that it was a package with caged queen.
they ought to be bringing in pollen. It is good that they are taking sugar water -- although you were told to feed 2-1, the more common advice is to 1-1 or even 1/2 - 1 to stimulate wax building and brood-raising, and 2-1 in fall if needed to be stored for winter.
Do you remember seeing, when you installed into your equipment, both open brood and pollen in the combs?
If not, if I could I would look sooner to check for eggs/larva.
I hope someone more experienced will also reply!

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Stop feeding. If they plug the hive of all the cells they have you won't like the results. You said, it is not a package it is a nuc with a laying queen. Where is she going to lay?

·
Administrator
11,319 Posts
> If they plug the hive of all the cells they have you won't like the results.

Only the 5 original nuc frames were drawn out - the other frames were foundation.
The other five frames was wax foundation. I plan on opening it Sunday and taking a peek inside.
No harm in waiting til the inspection on Sunday to make a decision on whether to stop feeding. That will have been only 7 days since installation by my calendar. :)

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
The point is you want the queen to lay eggs to build the population. If the cells are filled she can't lay eggs. It takes young bees to draw out foundation and if she doesn't lay eggs where are the young bees going to come from? It is not a package it is a nuc. So let the bees do their thing until you have the expertise to improve the situation not hinder the situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts