Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a colony I started 2 yars ago near my house that has become aggressive so I moved it about 300 yards away. I put a large branch in front of the opening so the bees would re-orient to their new location and everything seemed to go fine, but now 2 days later I notice a small swarm of bees on a bush next to the original location and they are not happy! I assume these are just misplaced bees and there is no queen involved. How long will they stay there and will they find their way back to the hive?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Without assistance they will live up to 3 weeks there. Put your cold hearted shoes on and spray them down with Raid or Wasp spray.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmmm. Instead of killling them, try putting a box or bucket there for them to get into. At night, take the container over to the hive and dump them there.

Once we moved a hive about 150 ft, and the bees came back to load themselves into a soda can that was left at the original location. I would think you need to have a container with a small opening, like the hive itself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you could maybe put Frame in the bush next to them, you might be able to work them on to it and then back into the hive? I had the same thing happen and was able to achieve it. I sprayed the frame with Sugar Water. As soon as the small cluster was on the frame, I sprayed them down with Sugar Syrup. That will keep them settled on the frame and not air born. Spray them down well if you a good distance to take them back to the new hive location.

Good Luck!

-Drew

·
Registered
105 Posts
Once we moved a hive about 150 ft, and the bees came back to load themselves into a soda can that was left at the original location.
That would be even more upsetting than accidentally drinking out of a can that someone's been spitting chewing tobacco into.

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah but you would stop drinking the bees - wouldnt have that option with the thick baccer juice.

That is so not right --- its wrong.:lpf:

·
Registered
86 Posts
reading these posts I have a question........what is the difference between sugar water and sugar syrup ??....concentration ?

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Some call it syrup and some call it water :s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts