Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hives (I assume) swarmed on 4/13. It was cool/cloudy in the morning and then cleared up and was pleasant in the afternoon. Around 70. I guess that's when they decided to make a break for it. Noticed them around 4:00 p.m when I came home. Probably 20 feet or so up in a cherry tree...Not on a limb. I have a couple of swarm traps and empty boxes set up in the yard but, they stayed put and were still there this morning. Cool and rainy most of the day today without any sun until late afternoon. So, the bees haven't budged. It's supposed to get in the low 40's tonight. In the past I had a swarm that stayed in a tree through three days of rain/thunderstorms but, the temps were much milder. It's supposed to be cloudy and cool tomorrow and stay in the 50's. Just wondering how long these bees will survive given the less than ideal conditions. I'm considering making up a batch of syrup and putting it out ....to give them an easy food source. I'm curious what experience others may have had with swarms that hang around for multiple days in less than ideal conditions????

·
Registered
738 Posts
I had one hang around last year for about a month on a limb about 50 feet up. It rained multiple times - they rode it out. I do think it's unusual for a swarm to hang around that long.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
They will be fine for 3-4 days and more if the cluster is big enough.
Hopefully, they will take one of your traps when warms up.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Check out my avatar, they hung around for several months LOL

20' up is not that high, get you a long pipe and attach a frame of comb to it, might eve spray a little syrup on it. Push the comb up to the cluster and wait til they walk onto the comb. Let it get full of bees then lower it down and put them in the hive. Repeat several times until you have a box of bugs.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Wish mine would only go 20 feet up. Our trees are hundreds of feet tall and sometimes they seem to go right to the top!

I prefer the pole taped to a 5g bucket trick. Standing in the back of a truck, or a ladder, or a ladder in the back of the truck - they should be quite reachable. Push the bucket into the swarm as hard as possible and move up and down. They fall into the bucket where you can then dump them into a hive.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The bucket on a pole works great if they are on a limb. The OP said they were not.
I use a 30' telescoping grade pole with a bucket on the end. This way you can raise it straight up and straight down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.