Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a swarm hanging in a tree (too high to reach) and its been two rainy cold days. It looks like scouts are checking out the bait hive I set out but they didnt make a move yet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I collected one Monday that was there since Thursday. They moved, and where they were clustered before had probably 1/3 of their numbers piles on the ground dead.

So I'd say if they are in direct rain.... a few days. If they are somewhat protected they'll probably go 5-6 days. I read somewhere they pack enough food for 3 days.

Hopefully they come down to the bait hive. Did you happen to put out multiple hives so they had a choice? Is it on the ground or elevated? I have also read that bait hives seem to do better 8-10' off the ground.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Mark

·
Registered
86 Posts
get a bucket on a pole and extend it to the swarm. it is worth a try. I had on stick around long enough to draw out 8" diameter of comb

Good luck

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put the bait hive about 10' in a tree. I caught swarms before in it, but this is the first time I had a swarm just hang there more than a couple of hours. I just put nasonov swarm bait in the box, maybe it will help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Swarms sometimes can be reluctant to settle in someplace that is close to their parent colony. Do you have any old, black, brood frames you can put in the swarm box? Sometimes that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts