Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago a swarm came and went near my hives leaving only a softball size swarm up in a tree about 30-40 feet up...

Well I keep checking on them to see if they are still there when I remember too; well after two weeks they are still there and seem to be growing lol

Is that normal/possible? We've had 4+ inches of really hard rains come down a lot of lightning and thunder and they still hanging out...

Just curious :scratch:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sounds like they decided to establish an open colony...There is one hanging in my neighbors tree...fortunately the neighbors don't mind. They've been there for many months. As a matter of fact, now that I think about that colony, they started about the size of a softball...I held little hope for them, so didn't even attempt to shake them down (plus they're about 25' up on branches that couldn't begin to support a ladder). Well, bees being bees, they not only made it, but are now big enough to fill I'd say half a deep box easily. I'll rent a lift for them eventually.

It happens more frequently than you would think. I have done several open air colony removals....Tree branches, bushes, open eaves, etc...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like they decided to establish an open colony...There is one hanging in my neighbors tree...fortunately the neighbors don't mind. They've been there for many months. As a matter of fact, now that I think about that colony, they started about the size of a softball...I held little hope for them, so didn't even attempt to shake them down (plus they're about 25' up on branches that couldn't begin to support a ladder). Well, bees being bees, they not only made it, but are now big enough to fill I'd say half a deep box easily. I'll rent a lift for them eventually.

It happens more frequently than you would think. I have done several open air colony removals....Tree branches, bushes, open eaves, etc...
Groovy...thanks for the reply:}

However; I live in the woods and this is across a deep ditch. No lift, No ladder, no matter lol

Just amazed at their resiliency..I have a swarm trap baited just a few yards from them in-case they want to check into the Hotel California...know what I mean?

Again thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
About two weeks ago a swarm came and went near my hives leaving only a softball size swarm up in a tree about 30-40 feet up...

Well I keep checking on them to see if they are still there when I remember too; well after two weeks they are still there and seem to be growing lol

Is that normal/possible? We've had 4+ inches of really hard rains come down a lot of lightning and thunder and they still hanging out...

Just curious :scratch:
It happens. They are probably in dense foliage and have built comb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.