Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago a swarm came and went near my hives leaving only a softball size swarm up in a tree about 30-40 feet up...

Well I keep checking on them to see if they are still there when I remember too; well after two weeks they are still there and seem to be growing lol

Is that normal/possible? We've had 4+ inches of really hard rains come down a lot of lightning and thunder and they still hanging out...

Just curious :scratch:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sounds like they decided to establish an open colony...There is one hanging in my neighbors tree...fortunately the neighbors don't mind. They've been there for many months. As a matter of fact, now that I think about that colony, they started about the size of a softball...I held little hope for them, so didn't even attempt to shake them down (plus they're about 25' up on branches that couldn't begin to support a ladder). Well, bees being bees, they not only made it, but are now big enough to fill I'd say half a deep box easily. I'll rent a lift for them eventually.

It happens more frequently than you would think. I have done several open air colony removals....Tree branches, bushes, open eaves, etc...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like they decided to establish an open colony...There is one hanging in my neighbors tree...fortunately the neighbors don't mind. They've been there for many months. As a matter of fact, now that I think about that colony, they started about the size of a softball...I held little hope for them, so didn't even attempt to shake them down (plus they're about 25' up on branches that couldn't begin to support a ladder). Well, bees being bees, they not only made it, but are now big enough to fill I'd say half a deep box easily. I'll rent a lift for them eventually.

It happens more frequently than you would think. I have done several open air colony removals....Tree branches, bushes, open eaves, etc...
Groovy...thanks for the reply:}

However; I live in the woods and this is across a deep ditch. No lift, No ladder, no matter lol

Just amazed at their resiliency..I have a swarm trap baited just a few yards from them in-case they want to check into the Hotel California...know what I mean?

Again thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just want to know one thing. Groovy? Really :lpf:
Yup...Groovy...back in the day when things were different in the USA

Groovy simply means Smile, Peace Bee with U!

"Really", was simply an adjective not an entire sentence or answer back then lol

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
About two weeks ago a swarm came and went near my hives leaving only a softball size swarm up in a tree about 30-40 feet up...

Well I keep checking on them to see if they are still there when I remember too; well after two weeks they are still there and seem to be growing lol

Is that normal/possible? We've had 4+ inches of really hard rains come down a lot of lightning and thunder and they still hanging out...

Just curious :scratch:
It happens. They are probably in dense foliage and have built comb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts