Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long will a gueen live in a cage and how should I store for a few days? I got back in time from picking them up to install package but not pinch my old queen before the rain hit. It is my understanding I have to pinch the old, wait 24 and then install the new queen. It started raining so I cant pinch the old until tomorrow.

·
Registered
779 Posts
4-5 days is fine for a queen. Place a drop of clean water on the screen daily to help the queen and her attendants dissolve some of the candy. I keep mine in my shirt drawer, in the dark. Don't place her in the sun or let her get too cold. Room temperature is the key. I too wait at least 24 hours after removing the old queen.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Actually you can bank a queen for months. But I realize that is not what you are referring to

I assume the package has nothing to do with this queen and pinching off an old queen, Two separate matters I assume.

If the queen is in a 3 hole cage with a candy plug she will be fine for several days with just giving her water, If she is in a California cage you will need to spritz her with syrup.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually you can bank a queen for months. But I realize that is not what you are referring to

I assume the package has nothing to do with this queen and pinching off an old queen, Two separate matters I assume.

If the queen is in a 3 hole cage with a candy plug she will be fine for several days with just giving her water, If she is in a California cage you will need to spritz her with syrup.
Your assumption is correct and it is a 3 hole with one hole full of candy. Thanks for the replies. And she has several attendants

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Just a thought, i like to put the old queen in a 5 frame nuc if she is still laying a good brood pattern. Then if the new queen doesn't pan out you have a back up, if all goes well i will take brood frames from the nuc to help build up weaker hives or make strong hives stronger for honey production.If the old queen had been a good one (was replaced because she was 3 or 4 yrs. old) i would raise fall queens from her. If she ran out of eggs or brood was hot? then i would pinch her, other wise i would use her.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had 100% luck requeening hives when I smash the old queen on the screen of the cage of the new queen before putting the cage in. No need to go back the next day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts