Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carefully cut out queen cells, maintained at 70 degrees, will be viable for how long? One beekeeper told me he put some in a coffee can, left them, and the queens emerged. Things I've read have said a couple hours. What do you think?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Brood is maintained at 94 degrees, changing that by one or two degrees for several hours can dramatically damage the brood inside. Granted, that depends more on the age of the cell. If its the day before the queen emerges, then the temperature requirement is not as critical since she is almost completely developed. But if she is still metamorphosing, she needs to be incubated or put in a hive as soon as possible, have all of your equipment ready to receive them.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,987 Posts
>... Things I've read have said a couple hours.
How far along was the cell? If it was just capped it will be eight days and then only if you keep it 93F. If it was capped eight days ago, then it might be a couple of hours...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a cell in a mating nuc that hadn't emerged on time. It was in a cell protector. Took it out and put it in my pocket with the thought of showing the cell to my kids later. I forgot about it though. Two days later I needed a cell protector. Found this one in my pocket, pulled the cell out of the protector and what do ya know, an active healthy looking virgin queen popped out! I'm not sure how fertile she would have been but she certainly looked fine after being in the pocket of my bee suit for two days

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I listened to a Seminar a few weeks ago through N.y Bee Wellness, Dr. Larry Connor doomed. He mentioned that in Europe that they transport uncapped queen cells, maybe about a few days old, being filled, because they are not so fragile. Make up little transport boxes for them. The Seminar might be up on the NY Bee Wellness site now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts