Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a 3 lb package of Carniolans is installed mid-day on Day 1 in a hive with no drawn comb, but is then confined to the hive due to weather (rain and daytime temps of 50-55 degrees), for say a week, how long would you generally expect a quart of 1:1 to last them?

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Less than a week. Maybe as few as three days. Packages are often very hungry. I hived a 3# swarm the other day and they took a pint in just a few hours with no comb available Put a hive top feeder on them and a medium super with some drawn comb and they emptied a gallon over the next few days.

·
Registered
457 Posts
7 lbs of honey to make 1 lb of wax is what they say. If they are staring with nothing, they need tons of sugar/energy to make that comb. They will burn through a quart in a couple of days. If you haven't fed them by now after a week, they are probably starving. Next time you feed, give them a second jar, or move to 2:1 to give them more sugar in less space. Heck, I'm feeding swarm splits with leftover solid candy board from this winter!

You almost can't feed a new package enough, don't skimp, get a costco membership and ignore the people giving you strange looks with your several 25 lb bags of sugar!

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I think it is worthwhile to keep in mind that if a sudden flow comes on the bees may flood the queen out of laying space. There should always be some empty cells ahead of her. If the speed of comb building is the controlling factor, over feeding wont speed population buildup.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It could be as little as a day or two, there are many variables. You should be thinking gallons, not quarts.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i typically give a fresh caught swarm 3 gallons of syrup ( 3 x 1 gallon paint pails on shims on top of the frames all encased in an empty super.)
This i find will let them build out the bottom 10 F deep within a week if its a decent sized swarm. ( typically they already had made 3-4 frames in the trap before i transfer them.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts