Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last week I checked a new package hive that swarmed. I found no eggs but a few swarm cells. I checked it today and the swarm cells had hatched but no eggs yet. I added a frame of eggs just in case but how long after the queen emerges should I see eggs?
Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
In the last week I checked a new package hive that swarmed. I found no eggs but a few swarm cells. I checked it today and the swarm cells had hatched but no eggs yet. I added a frame of eggs just in case but how long after the queen emerges should I see eggs?
Thanks

I think I remember reading that she won't even take her mating flight for at least three days, then she starts laying a few days after that. I hope to find this all out in real life in my own apiary next week. I suppose it varies with weather, breed, etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
When ever she feels like laying eggs. Most will be laying 12 days after a cell hatches, but not all. Keep adding eggs.

Roland

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
First, check the bee math, remembering that a colony usually swarms right before the new queen emerges:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

Basically, after a swarm, you can expect a new queen to be laying in 2 to 3 weeks. I had a hive that swarmed 3 times this spring, and after 3 weeks I was certain it was queenless. Bought a new queen, went to install, and found open brood. (So I took frames from my other hives and made up a nuc for the queen).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, check the bee math, remembering that a colony usually swarms right before the new queen emerges:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

Basically, after a swarm, you can expect a new queen to be laying in 2 to 3 weeks. I had a hive that swarmed 3 times this spring, and after 3 weeks I was certain it was queenless. Bought a new queen, went to install, and found open brood. (So I took frames from my other hives and made up a nuc for the queen).
Thanks great info. I had a package that I think swarmed twice? It was the strongest hive I have had. I had expected to have a new queen laying before they would take off. When I inspected the hive after the second swarm I found the queen cell. My mistake was to think she should be laying a week later. I will continue to check the hive each week and add a frame as cheap insurance. Thanks for the help everyone. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts