Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, my two hives were attacked by a bear. One hive that got the brunt of it probably can't be saved. The other hive I have some hope for as it was basically tipped over onto the other one and the bear didn't take frames out. There were a few frames on the ground. It was 29 degrees that night and so I have been expecting to see them bringing out dead/chilled brood. To date, nothing. I had chilled brood once before and they cleaned them out and there was a pile in front of the hive. Any thoughts?
Rain, cold temps and appointments haven't allowed me to go into the hive yet, but if rain stops today, I am going in. J

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to inspect both hives again. Most of the larvae has been removed from the combs but it doesn't look like they removed any from under the caps. Maybe they are still alive? Or are they slow to clean out brood from under the caps? J

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
There is no time frame. It's about what the bees can do and depends how many bees, temperature, etc. They will get to it as they can, don't sweat it.

Could be the non removed larvae are still alive but time will tell.

The imortant thing at first, is to help the colony recover by allowing them to build a good healthy brood nest again, and to do that it may be necessary to leave a bit of dead brood on the outer rather than force them to do it, and let them get to it later as they are able.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
What's the queen situation on both of these? We have our mower up a Charlie White's, with the completion date about 1.5 weeks away. A queen from work could be delivered.... if the timing works out for you.

Nancy

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the offer Nancy. I thought Betterbee was sold out for quite some time in the future. But it appears I can get Singing Cedars queens on Tuesday so am giving them a call today. J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts