Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a nuc that was from a walk away split, that the guy ordered a new queen for. When I picked it up last week the queen had been released and there were 2 capped queen cells. I checked it today and the queen cells have been torn down, but I'm not seeing any eggs, I do see some 3-4 day old larva, but no eggs. They are starting to back fill the brood nest pretty good how long should I wait her out, or should I ask him for a frame of eggs and pinch her. This is currently my only colony and I do have a queen I saw her.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
If this queen was caged, it can take up to two weeks for her to start laying. Who laid the eggs resulting in the brood? Maybe the seller added a frame of brood. I would give the queen a few days alone and then then go back in to check if she is laying.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
You bought a walk away split, or something Period. A nuc is a nucleus colony and contains workers of all ages and a laying queen Just as the term nucleus colony implies it is the core of a hives existence.

Not some rag tag conglomeration of equipment and bees.

A walk away split should contain the productive queen from a parent colony. She should be producing when added to the split.

It is difficult to know what advise to give when we don't really know what you are dealing with.. A virgin queen can take a few weeks after emergence to breed and begin producing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts