Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a frame of drone brood and after pulling a few drone larvau have confirmed the presenc3 of Varroa on several of the larvae.

I want to freeze the frame to kill off the Varroa (as well as the drones :(). What is the minimum amount pf time that I need to leave the frame in the freezer to assure that all Varroa (adult and eggs) are dead?

Once the frame is reinserted into the hive, can I assume that the worker bees will take care of cleaning it out?

thanks,

-fafrd

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
48 hrs should be sufficient. If the colony has a good population they should clean the frame up just fine.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
48 hrs should be sufficient.
Thanks beeslave. The frames have already been out for 24 hours at room temperature (about 60 degrees) - do you think another 24 hours in the freezer would be sufficient or do I really need a full 48 hours at freezing temperatures?

-fafrd

p.s. I want to get the frames back into the hive before the end of the weekend, which is why I am asking

·
Registered
41 Posts
I left mine in the freezer for 48 hours, once I took them out I let them thaw, then took a long knife and cut off all of the caps. The turned the frame on it's side and tapped it on the edge of a table to knock out what I could, to help the workers clean the frame up faster.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Just wondering. Isn't 48/24 hrs much longer than really needed?
I would think 4 hours plenty. I have seen a bee almost die in less than 2 minutes in the freezer and the varroa that was on it was in the same condition.

By the way vorroa will release from the bee once they get cold :D

Don't ask - I was experimenting.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts