Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hived two packages on April 11th. We have had an early spring here in Wisconsin. The crab apples and cherry trees are in bloom. We are supposed to have a bit of cold weather coming this weekend. There are bees around the inverted buckets but it doesn't seem that they are taking any more syrup. Is it too early to cease feeding??

·
Registered
375 Posts
They prefer nectar over syrup. I don't know when your honey flow starts, but it shouldn't be too far off. If you haven't done so, do an inspection to see how much comb they've drawn. If they haven't drawn out all the frames with comb, you could leave it.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
feed till they quit taking it. good luck,mike

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would feed until you see capped honey and there is nectar coming in. At that point they have what they consider "stores" or they would not have capped it. They need some stores to get through a rainy week when they can't forage or a dearth. Of course if they have little stores and there is a dearth, I would feed more. Feeding often causes more problems than it solves. It can cause swarming by clogging up the brood nest. It can also cause drowning and robbing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My new hives of russians are building up very quickly. They are only taking about 1/3 to 1/2 of a quart of sugar water per week now. Would this be considered as not taking it. I will be opening the hive Sunday for a quick look. I will look for any capped honey. Is there anything else I should look for relative to getting them off the bottle?
I sat next to the hives yesterday and watched them come and go and they are bringing in lots of pollen. The locust trees have been in bloom for about a week now so I know they are bringing in pollen but how do I know they are bringing in nectar?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts