Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got started this year(MY twelve year old son and I). My bees seem to love me,at least the new fresh flesh part, it's been real intresting (seem to have a huge amount of localized swelling when she get's a good hold).I started with two nucs-four weeks ago (five frames each- two hives), I feed for about two weeks the nectar flow was on actually I understand in a couple weeks it will be about over. I live in town and should get a little from flowers that are just now starting. I used the 7/10 method and just added a shallow. They seem to bee drawing very slow-what is about normal? Have a couple frames drawn in super. I realize it depends on population which seems to be growing fast. Should I feed more?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you want the frames drawn as soon as possible you should sock the feed to them in a 1 to 1 ratio. If there is a nectar flow going on they will not take much feed. I would have put on a second deep and put a drawn comb in the middle to encourage them. Forget about the super and making any honey this year. Get them ready now for next year. Don't rush it or you will be disapointed.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Dan W. I diidn't mean to mislead if I did. I'm not expecting any honey this year. Everyone seems to run a deep and a shallow to winter bees here. Some even run just a deep and feed (but I think most do leave a shallow with the deep instead of two deeps).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts