Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Farmer across the road (600 ft) let me know he was going to ground spray his soybeans with fungicide and insecticide today (not aerial) I got my three hives confined (OUCH) early this morning. Wind should be null and/or drift away from my hives, and they are on the other side of lots of obstructions...so not too concerned with drift to the hives.
We are about 2 to 3 weeks behind and sort of in the middle of a flow right now. He will be done spraying by noon today. I am thinking of releasing them right before sunset tonight or after dark.
Or should I wait at least 24 hours?
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I agree with the above post, but the insecticide used could make a difference also. I've been out of the loop of spraying soybeans for more than 5 years, so I don't know what they use in today's world.

If soybeans are blooming, which they probably are, you'll want to check the label of the insecticide to see if it's a one time contact killer, ingestion killer or systemic killer.....or it could be a Bt worm killer that would have little effect on bees. There's lots of "if's" to be sure your bees will be okay. Most likely, your bees will be fine. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.