Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Farmer across the road (600 ft) let me know he was going to ground spray his soybeans with fungicide and insecticide today (not aerial) I got my three hives confined (OUCH) early this morning. Wind should be null and/or drift away from my hives, and they are on the other side of lots of obstructions...so not too concerned with drift to the hives.
We are about 2 to 3 weeks behind and sort of in the middle of a flow right now. He will be done spraying by noon today. I am thinking of releasing them right before sunset tonight or after dark.
Or should I wait at least 24 hours?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You should be able to release them this evening. The chemical will have time to dry and the bee should not go out foraging that late in the day.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I agree with the above post, but the insecticide used could make a difference also. I've been out of the loop of spraying soybeans for more than 5 years, so I don't know what they use in today's world.

If soybeans are blooming, which they probably are, you'll want to check the label of the insecticide to see if it's a one time contact killer, ingestion killer or systemic killer.....or it could be a Bt worm killer that would have little effect on bees. There's lots of "if's" to be sure your bees will be okay. Most likely, your bees will be fine. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts