Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need a couple boxes pretty soon. I primed and painted them this evening with Kilz and a latex exterior paint....it will be pretty dry and sunny for the next few days and was wondering how long will it be before it is safe to use?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I use my hives 24 hours after they have dried completly with no problems at all. I paint 3 coats of paint over the course of a couple days and let them dry completely and then use 24 hours later. That is if i'm pushed for equipment, if not they get stacked and forgotten till needed. lol.. Which around here isn't very long it seems.. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Latex surfaces stick to each other for a long time. I rub paraffin or beeswax on all the edges and reapply periodically to make it easier to separate the boxes.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when I initially got my hives I dint take measure to keep off the top and bottom edges..what a head ache....nice tip about the paraffin...
Latex surfaces stick to each other for a long time. I rub paraffin or beeswax on all the edges and reapply periodically to make it easier to separate the boxes.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
"Paint," the edges not with paint, but with Titebond II, they won't stick (after it's dried of course) and it protects the wood. Dries very quickly also..........

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! that's brilliant!!!! I have just a few areas , little spots where the paint seeped under the painters tape that I will hit with the titebond III this is great!!!!
"Paint," the edges not with paint, but with Titebond II, they won't stick (after it's dried of course) and it protects the wood. Dries very quickly also..........

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, i understand people do that but, here in NOVA, the Bee taliban advise against it....So many things I would try, so many other things I don't know enough about, like what transport proteins are in the hemolymph and how does the bee respiratory system exchange gases from the environment or how sensitive are bees to VOC in PPM or even PPB? Thanks
I've painted supers, stacked them wet in the pickup and drove them to a beeyard and set them on hives to dry.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yeah, i understand people do that but, here in NOVA, the Bee taliban advise against it....So many things I would try, so many other things I don't know enough about, like what transport proteins are in the hemolymph and how does the bee respiratory system exchange gases from the environment or how sensitive are bees to VOC in PPM or even PPB? Thanks
Don't tell my bees what the Bee Taliban advises. It would just worry them unnecessarily.

Do you intend to paint the inside of your boxes with some sort of volatile oil-based paint? I just use cheap latex and only paint the exterior.

Wayne

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"OH HELL NO" :) I'm a newbee but I do know a few things thanks for asking :)
Don't tell my bees what the Bee Taliban advises. It would just worry them unnecessarily.

Do you intend to paint the inside of your boxes with some sort of volatile oil-based paint? I just use cheap latex and only paint the exterior.

Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts