Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to requeen 2 hives on friday, I read in this forum bad things can happen if you check on her to soon. This may be why I'm having to requeen cause I didn't wait to check on her the first time. How long should I wait?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am new beek this year. I have been told more than once to see if she is released in 3-4 days. If not put small hole in candy and wait 2 more days. Let bees release her. If you release her to early they could kill her. I was installing my first pkg and the queen that was shipped with them flew away on me. I went and got another within a day, installed her went back two days later to see if she was released. She was not so I thought I would help. I opened the screen, at first all seemed well, then some bees that were not on the cage came from in the hive and I think were trying to kill her.
I wasn't sure so I put hive together and left. 3 days later no queen and only a handfull of bees remained. Started over. Just Info.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I plan to requeen 2 hives on friday, I read in this forum bad things can happen if you check on her to soon. This may be why I'm having to requeen cause I didn't wait to check on her the first time. How long should I wait?
You can check in about a week, would leave things alone for a solid 7 days after requeening.

During a nectar flow, you can poke a hole in the candy plug. She may be released in 3-4 days no prob, but I recommend staying out of the hive until after day 7.

Outside of a nectar flow, throw an entrance reducer on the entrance, and do NOT poke a hole in the candy. She may be released in 7 days, not 3-4. Recommend not inspecting for 10-14 days later.

Everything is dependent on the nectar flow. Don't forget to feed when intro-ing a new queen, even during a nectar flow. Food makes the bees nicer to her.

Good luck, I hope that helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks for the advice, turns out when I went to requeen one hive already had one and just started laying, so with an extra queen I prepared to split my most populated hive and found a swarm cell not yet capped. I took that rack with a couple more and split one hive and a couple more racks for my left over queen and made another hive hoping to prevent a swarm, did I do the right thing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts