Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice second year hive had excellent laying queen that made it through the winter. Checked two weeks ago and had capped brood, larvae and eggs (I think there were eggs can't remember). Checked today and no brood at all. And noticed at least 5 queen cells opened. Does that mean something happened to the queen and they are raising another one? If so how long do I let them try? I have had trouble with a laying worker in my other hive (new package). I finally have a good laying queen in that one and hate to take any brood from it as it's just getting started. So I kinda worried about laying workers.

Also should I feed this second year hive? There are flower in my field as we speak, but could she have stopped laying because of not enough nectar? We got our rain late this year, and not enough of it. Of course then why would all those queen cells be opened.

Just as a side question:
Why would they open so many? Don't they just need one? They were closed a few weeks ago.

Thanks for any help,
K

·
Registered
206 Posts
without going into too much details.
It sounds to me that your colony swarmed and took the queen mother with them. They left queen cells to replace her.
Colonies always make several queens when they are replacing one. Insurance as they only have one chance to get it right.
The closed queen cells you saw earlier were actually queens developing in them. The "opened" one's have hatched.
Don't expect to see any eggs for about 20 days after those queens hatched. I wouldn't disrupt the hive until then. Virgin
queens are very nervous and you don't want to interfere with her mating flights.

Flowers present does not mean any nectar or pollen is available for the bees. Flowers persist long after all the nectar and pollen are gone.

As for feeding them. If they have plenty of stores they don't need any feed.

Sam

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
As a general rule most virgin queens will be bred within a week of emerging. Frames of brood would help, but if you don't have it, you don't have it. see how things play out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
Oh I hope they didn't swarm,but ya know it did seem like there were fewer bees. I felt like this hive had a ton. Not as many now. The only thing is I thought they had plenty of room. Two of the frames in the large honey super hardly had any honey and not all the honey was capped. I had a medium super on top of that. The brood box only had 4 out of ten frames being used. The rest were empty. So I don't know.

So should I check in a week or two weeks? And if no laying in two weeks or so start giving brood from other hive?

Thanks,
K

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Michael,

They looked like a queen emerged out of all of them. No larvae and did not looked torn down. Had a hole in the bottom of the cell. Nothing in the cell and cell still intact.

K

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
without going into too much details.
It sounds to me that your colony swarmed and took the queen mother with them. They left queen cells to replace her.
Colonies always make several queens when they are replacing one. Insurance as they only have one chance to get it right.
The closed queen cells you saw earlier were actually queens developing in them. The "opened" one's have hatched.
Don't expect to see any eggs for about 20 days after those queens hatched. I wouldn't disrupt the hive until then. Virgin
queens are very nervous and you don't want to interfere with her mating flights.

Flowers present does not mean any nectar or pollen is available for the bees. Flowers persist long after all the nectar and pollen are gone.

As for feeding them. If they have plenty of stores they don't need any feed.

Sam
I have sometimes seen only one Queen cell placed mid frame. It has been capped. Recently I moved a poor laying Queen out of the hive and left the solitary Queen cell behind. For another hive I took the frame with the single Queen cell and placed it in a Queenless hive.

Will these single Queen cells produce viable Queens or are single Queen cells duds? These are capped QC not open Queen cups.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts