Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to ask this question every year, but I keep forgetting. How long does a queen from a new package have to start laying? 10 days now, and no eggs.

This one is problematic because the package got hung up in shipping for five days, being moved around and possibly significantly jostled, and being completely out of food in their feeder (though sprayed with food regularly). They were kind of aggressive when I hived them, and I wasn't able to get a good look at the queen because the cage was mobbed. I could tell a bee was in there, though. So, the next day, when I went in to put a marshmallow in the queen cage, the bee that was in there flew away in a split second when I got the cork out! In that split second, though, the bee looked like a worker, and was agile like a worker. The cork had been kind of turned on its side, so I went with the assumption that they had let the queen out, and that a worker had gotten stuck in there in the process. So, I worked them for the first time today, and didn't see any eggs. They have the vibe of a queenright hive, though, and they're bringing in a little pollen.

Anyway, long story short -- how long should I wait before I get a new queen?

·
Registered
760 Posts
yeah thats a great way to know -

but for other readers if you go 5 days and see no eggs id start getting a queen asap

if you only have one hive and belong to a bee club or friends with a beekeeper -- get to know them and see if you can get a frame of brood - most will be happy to lend a frame -

if anyone cames to me needing a frame of eggs -- id be more then happy to

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is only pertinent for nucs or placing a frame of brood in a package.

Our experience with checking back on nucs is 23 days for those that raise their own. If they don't have eggs and open brood by then they are probably not going to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts