Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been asked to take bees to a land lab wed. it is going to be in the 90's. i have been promised a place in the shade but i am concerned that the bees in my 1 frame med observation hive will cook. the event is from 9 am till 3:30 pm. is it better to put a frame with lots of bees in thier(more cooling force) or less bees ( less to die)?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You need some kind of shade for them or they will cook, especially under glass. As long as they are in some kind of shade (tree or under a pop-up) you will be ok. A full frame is ok. If there is brood more is better and make sure they have some nectar or honey in the frame you pull if it is going to be more then a few hours.

Have fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pretend it's a puppy... how much ventilation, coolness, shade, water etc. would it need? They will need the same.
That's what I would do. Bees can maintain their hive temp even when ambient temps are extremely hot, like in the desert. Remember that they use water droplets and evaporate them to cool the hive under these circumstances, so you'll need to provide them with a water source.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.