Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a swarm on May 1st and placed them on drawn comb. I am sure it was a virgin queen because it was the second swarm from this hive. I checked them today and found the queen she looks healthy etc. My question is how long before I start seeing brood ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went back and checked my note, the swarm was hived on May 7th not the 1st so it has been 11 days. I guess I just need to wait a fewq more days.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
bartrak,
Just to be on the safe side you could put a frame of brood in the hive with the swarm, that should keep them from leaving. They normally would not leave brood. Just a thought.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:thumbsup: GOOD question! I now have 3 swarms hived, 2 in long mediums and 1 in a standard med., each have 3 frames of comb (lets say rubber banded cut-out comb) and on sugar water. Dates hived May 6, 10 & 14. Observation from the outside; They are taking the sugar water and flying about, have not seen any pollen comming in.

It is just killing me not to take a look inside to see what is going on! I would like to know if there is a queen, what they are doing with the mish-mach comb and foundless frames.

Any input will be appreciated :s

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If she is indeed a virgin queen, it may take her a week or two to fly and breed and start laying. Her egg-laying may be spotty to start, so figure another week until you start "seeing" brood beyond the egg stage.

·
Registered
812 Posts
A primary swarm will have the old queen. She will need only a few days to get back into egg laying habit. An after swarm will contain a virgin queen. She will need to mature a bit , go on mating flight, get egg laying figured out, and finally become a productive queen (1 week + 2days + 2 weeks +1 week). This is why after swarms which are normally small are more difficult to get established before winter. IMHO

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think the info on Michael Bush's website should answer your question. But I thought I would give you a word of encouragement: Picked up a swarm on April 23. I believe the queen was a virgin, since she slipped through a queen excluder I was using as an "includer". I actually saw her on the landing board on the second day after I hived them. Anyway, I quickly removed the excluder, and whe apparently went into the hive because...
I checked the hive yesterday and she that queen is laying eggs so fast the bees can hardly keep up. In fact, I found eggs on foundation that was hardly a dimple. She is now plump and pretty (I actually saw her) and she looked like she was searching for another cell to lay in.
So be patient. You've got something to look forward to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts